Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 01-22-2021, 10:35 PM

y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of

y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of
Rust Mitigation #3 | Return to Directory
So I'm slowly chipping away (pardon the pun haha) at this rust. I hate that its got the crusties, but this is the 4runner I have. Part of my wants to fly out south and find a minty one, but the other part of me is rational and realizes its not as bad as it could be. I'm also slightly attached to this stock turd; Its my first car, purchased with money I printed in my basement worked for, learned some wrenching on, etc. Now this is just another opportunity to learn how to weld more.

This session was working on the front, which is really the worst part. I was also at home, so I had access to all tools, compressed air, and a good place to work.

I needle scaled everything chunky and then wire wheeled until I was satisfied. Then blew all the junk out with compressed air. We can see the front crossmember is swiss cheesed a little. I've mentioned a few times that I have metal and plans to remake this piece, just got caught up with school and work. Hopefully I can meet someone in this Maryland off road group with a driveway or something. I will rebuild control arms for friendship haha.

Then painted with Rustoleum Rust Reformer. The second picture with the more rearward of skid mounting crossmember wasn't really that bad. Can see slight pitting on the right side, but overall solid.

Even swiss cheese metal looks good with paint on it!

Also went ahead and sprayed the front diff. I'm not worried about this rusting through because its a big ol chunky metal, but it looks pretty now! For whatever reason, I didn't paint those arms

This part I'm really embarrassed to share, but I want to show everything here, so here goes: My big bad hole. The main problem with this is its right behind a cat, which would make welding difficult without removing that crap. And like all exhausts in salty areas, mines a bit crusty.

AOAA with MORE
I'm going with the Maryland Off Road Enthusiasts (MORE) to AOAA this weekend. They're planning to do some green trails to start off the year and get some new members involved, so this is the perfect time for me to hop in. I'm an off-roading newb when it comes to 4 wheels. I do alright on 2, but this is new for me.

I started by taking my front sway bar off! Hopefully this allows the IFS more freedom to flex off road. So far road manners aren't terrible with it off. I was really worried about removing it, since I was doing it in my apartment parking garage and I had previously broken a lot of the skid bolts due to them being seized in there. Thankfully the sway bar bolts were larger than I anticipated. I thought they were the same size m8 as the skids, but they ended up being m10 (Whatever JIS 14mm head equates to). They all came out fine, just wish I had moved outside so I could have used my mini impact without as much echo. I ended up doing them all with a ratchet. One of them was hard to get out, I wonder why?

For the links, the passenger side came out easily since I had it out when I did the CV. The driver side 6mm hex stripped on my, so I grabbed the boot area with vice grips and was able to get the nut off that way. Old pics, but I like pictures that show everything in case any reader hasn't seen these before

Lastly I picked up some recovery gear. I got a hitch shackle with a 3/4" shackle, an extra 3/4" shackle, and a recovery strap. I would have liked buy some soft shackles and a kinetic rope, but they wouldn't have arrived in time. Eventually I will upgrade and expand my recovery gear collection

Not pictured, but I picked up some cheap handheld GMRS radios. I would have liked to get a nice permeant mount one, but I was limited on time, and this is what I could get here this week. I also bought a 4lb fire extinguisher in hopes that I never need it. I'd like to make a mount for this, and that could be a nice apartment capable project haha.

Last edited by y=mx+b; 01-22-2021 at 10:38 PM.
y=mx+b is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote