View Single Post
Old 01-23-2021, 03:00 AM

cwilliams563 has a spectacular aura about cwilliams563 has a spectacular aura about cwilliams563 has a spectacular aura about

cwilliams563 has a spectacular aura about cwilliams563 has a spectacular aura about cwilliams563 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAST4R View Post
Here is my personal ranking:

0/ Whatever needed to have a safe/reliable vehicle, maintenance items, etc.

Now, the fun part:

1/ Suspension, Suspension, Suspension

The 6112 on 650lb is not a race shock but is very capable and suffices to drive at a good speed through the desert. There is no way 5100s can handle that and if you put heavy springs on them, you will just mask their shortcomings and shorten their lifespan. I got the best 6112 deal from BBO but Total Automotive can also have good deals. The standard spring is plush on road but not good enough for any serious offroading.

The problem is the rear, at say, at a minimum you will want Icon 2.0 with resi. Without resi, mine were done in 13k. Yes, good use, but still. If you do shorter stretches and not very often or if you prioritize low-range trails and do little of anything else, 2.0 non-resi Icon are pretty good especially for the price. I think Fox 2.0 is harsher on road, probably same off road.

And don't lift is so much as to compromise completely down travel.

2/ Whatever else you want but it is all optional.

What do you need a winch for in AZ? I mean, you won't be driving Highway to Hell and the like anyway. No need to be out the one time a year it pours.

If you do need to replace UCAs, sure go ahead while you are on it. Exit Offroad is running what looks like a good deal on SPC UCAs. The Dobs ones seem fine to me, very functional. But SPC is currently a little cheaper on Mike's website. So looks like a good time to get one but do verify the prices on Google to make sure the discount is as big as advertised.

For LCAs, not sure anything is needed above what Toyota offers.

If you do lots of ledges, DOM rear lower control arms are a great idea and bracket skids are always a great idea. Mine have been used many times, esp the pax side.

With a capable suspension and 2" lift, skids can be de-prioritized but still help.

Rock sliders definitely help. It is very rare that they do in my experience, but when they are needed, they are really needed.

If you do front bumper, do it to prioritize approach angle but even so the limiting factor is more the rear, I have never had issues with AA (sure the valance looks like crap but the bumper itself is fine). And with an Eibach 1" spring and the Icon 2.0 issues in the rear stopped as well as the stiffer suspension prevents the bumper from hugging every big rock for goodbye.
I appreciate your input for sure. Are the Icon 2.0’s any or much better than the Bilstein 5160’s? I considered going 6112/5160’s initially (apparently I should have lol, to just do it over) but did not want or plan on a steel bumper. The Blitz is a good compromise though. I believe my front coils are #620lb Eibach silver ToyTac branded. Would the #650 springs be good enough? I plan on getting the Blitz half bumper and winch, Victory full roof rack, full sized spare up top, ladder on hatch, Protax water and fuel packs, and loaded down when going on trips.

I do need high caster UCA’s as with my alignment I am sitting at approx. .4* and .6* degrees and truck is pretty floaty on the road.

The Victory 4x4 Blitz flush bumper will be great for AA’s as it doesn’t stick out very far at all. I need to ditch my bull bar for sure. I am in the 3,000’ elevation range and actually rains quite a bit here (not near as much as normal this last year) and does get pretty muddy. Spending a lot of time in the mountains it rains a fair amount too and back roads are sloppy. It has rained for almost a week while out camping and hunting up North. Spending time by the river and in sand washes there is plenty of potential to get stuck. Spending time hunting and fishing on the Apache Rez around the point of pines area, the roads are crazy nasty quick sand mud. You’re buried to your frame before you know it! I’d rather have a winch and not use it, than not have it and need it.

I don’t off-road for fun (yet) it’s what we do to get to places to hunt and fish. Many nasty areas and usually very isolated without a convoy of 4x4’s to help pull you out. Your on your own typically and could be life or death. This is my daily driver now and mainly pavement, but is used for off road during hunting or scouting time.

I’ll check out BBO, Total Automotive, and Mikes site. Thank you for all the info.
2008 Titanium Metallic 4WD 4Runner V6 SR5| Satoshi Grille mod|17x8 Level 8 MK6 wheels, 275/70/17" Falken Wildpeak tires| Front-Bilstein 5100's set at 0 with ToyTec branded Eibach silver springs and 1/2" ToyTec spacer driver side, 1/4" ToyTec spacer passenger|Front Diff. drop spacer kit|sway bar relocate kit| Rear-Fox 2.0Resi and ToyTec superflex black springs|Tyger Bull bar with LED's/Lund HX tube side steps
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited in Crystal White Pearl

Last edited by cwilliams563; 01-23-2021 at 03:17 AM.
cwilliams563 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote