Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 01-26-2021, 09:24 AM

Decipher is a jewel in the rough Decipher is a jewel in the rough Decipher is a jewel in the rough Decipher is a jewel in the rough

Decipher is a jewel in the rough Decipher is a jewel in the rough Decipher is a jewel in the rough Decipher is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiz45 View Post
Stop with the timing belt already—90,000 /6500=a preventative maintenance every 8-13 YEARS!

I debated 5th gen and the GX, and the weird door was the decider. Picked up a new ‘14 T4R, and it’s been great! I didn’t care for the power, knowing that the previous gen had a V8. I always wondered whether I made the right choice.

Fast forward to 2017, I picked up the GX with 117k on it. My buddy was a Toyota tech, so I had him do water pump, timing belt, thermostat,plugs, brakes, and most fluids. I put about $1,500 into it on the front end to baseline it, and it’s been very smooth. Last year I put an Eibach kit with 5 x 265/70-17 Wildpeaks. I modernized the audio by putting in a GROM VLine2, so now it has CarPlay.

I can’t say that today’s prices are worth it, but lots of people seem to have discretionary funds to spend these days. You already know these trucks are aging, and will require servicing. You can diy and use Toyota or Lexus parts (or Denso) or take it to a Toyota or Lexus dealer for service. You’ll even see people using 5th gen/460 brakes on 470s.

My kid has since tAken over the GX, but I do enjoy driving it when I am allowed. The 4Runner remains my daily.

Thank you and I agree on the timing belt. That’s kind of been my thinking as of late. I’ll have to service it once every 10 years or so. Is it that big of a deal? I guess it’s hard going from the known with my 4R being a reliable beast to the unknown in buying a truck that may need a lot of work to get it to a good baseline like you did with yours. Plus I’m reading to no end common issues like ceased brake calipers, the driveline clunk and other issues that may need to be addressed. With my career and two small kids, time is a premium although I have the luxury of two other new cars in the house to drive.

I appreciate all of the insight a ton!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2010 4Runner SR5
Decipher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote