Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 01-28-2021, 08:37 PM

MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold

MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeski View Post
Option 1 - Front Bilstein's set to 1.75" Notch and rear Bilstein's with stock springs all around. I was thinking this would give a nice level look?

For your described use, the 6112 front and 5100 rear would be perfect. However, I don't know how the V8 changes the front weight. Standard springs on the 6112 are PLUSH on road but a little soft for frequent and/or faster offroading. The 650lb springs make the combo more capable but are sporty rather than stiff on road (with the V6). It is possible that with V8, steel skids, and rock sliders you get the best of both worlds with the 650lb springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClimberGuy View Post
Is there any downside to 6112 fronts if towing? I've been debating forever between the 5100's and 6112's for the exact reasons you describe. But have not been able to find any info on 6112's and towing an RV. I've got an old 23' Airstream, about 4500lb in weight, that I'd like to tow on long trips for summer vacations. Also, what springs did you recommend to run with 6112 to keep stock height or just slightly lift an inch?
My trailer is feather weight but I don't see why the 6112 would have a downside. The shock itself is in a different league from the 5100 though the standard spring is as soft as the stock one (roughly).

Basically, a 6112 setup adjusts two ways: height, which is what everyone knows but is not that important (ha!) and offroad performance, which nobody talks about yet the difference is HUGE (standard vs 650lb spring).

The shock is very capable but the softness of the standard spring is a limiting factor in rock crawling where you hit rocks as the front bounces and at speed. However, I did not bottom out once throughout my trials of the standard spring so the shock itself is really capable.
(6112s/650lb at 2.25" lift, 8100 rear with Bilstein B12 1.5" springs, Mickey Thompson BAJA MTZ LTE 265 70 17, RCI set of front 3/16 skids, Shrockworks step sliders and 3/16 steel gas tank skid, C4Fab rear diff skid, Rockmen rear LCAs, Total Chaos rear LCA bracket skids, Diode Dynamics SS3 white fog lights).
MAST4R is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote