View Single Post
Old 01-31-2021, 12:51 PM

Tj900 is on a distinguished road

Tj900 is on a distinguished road
My gen 2 prius cats were stolen in westwood, ca last week. Only toyota cats are CARB approved for that car. Toyota has no eta when they will be available and when they do come up they are $3k. They removed the 2 cat bolts and sawed the lower pipe. I ended up buying new 48 state cats from someone in LA and cat guard (pictured in box) for around $350. I bought new bolts and welded on 12 point ends to confound thiefs that expect the oem 14mm bolts.
I have heard toyota trucks are getting them stolen. I looked at the T4R and the uppers would be hard to unbolt. The lowers would be easy. The thiefs like the gen 2 prius because you can get both in under a minute. Our trucks would probably take 2 min each side to get both lowers. Lifted trucks like mine are even more of a target.
My wife let me order skids with thought that they could help deter theft as well. ;) I'm going to see how much more it id to drop my insuranve deductible from $500 to $0. Insurance covers these thefts. I don't know if aftermarket cats are CARB approved. I think there is some options.
Attached Images
Install RCI Front skid with CBI Rear skid to prevent catalytic theft-screenshot_20210131-084104_gallery-jpg 

Last edited by Tj900; 01-31-2021 at 12:55 PM.
Tj900 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote