Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-06-2021, 12:17 PM

mbumpus11 has a spectacular aura about mbumpus11 has a spectacular aura about mbumpus11 has a spectacular aura about

mbumpus11 has a spectacular aura about mbumpus11 has a spectacular aura about mbumpus11 has a spectacular aura about
Flush Mount Rear Pod LED Lights - “How To” Write Up

Finally, let’s talk light output.

I knew these would be bright, and I knew I wanted to control them. I do not have them wired into my reverse lights because I didn’t feel like I needed them EVERY time I would be backing up. Honestly, I’m glad I put them on an independent switch for the times I need them and can’t/don’t need to go into reverse.

The switch for these is obvious...”Rear Lights.” I got the switch from AOB, and it matches my LED Light Bar switch I’ve had from them for years.

Pics post install —

Straight into the light:

House lit up from front of the truck:

Comparison of reverse camera image without pod lights...no comparison, really!

SCENARIO 1: backing into front, one streetlight ahead of vehicle...sidewalk visible, fence visible, neither are clear, and pretty washed out.

S1,Pic 1: OEM back up camera and OEM reverse lights

S1,Pic 2: OEM back up camera and pod lights ON

Now you can clearly see the grass, sidewalk, and fence with much better depth perception.

SCENARIO 2: on street parking next to a curb, one streetlight somewhere, general neighborhood ambient nighttime lighting scenario. Hard to decipher road from curb (yes, the blue guideline is blocking, but even then difficult to contrast), kind of all looks flat and washed out while camera picks up light in distance (which doesn’t help with parking)

S2,Pic 1: OEM back up camera and OEM reverse lights

S2,Pic 2: OEM back up camera and pod lights ON

Again, now you can see that your tire is near the curb (and might find some grass!), but otherwise you can tell the street is “actually” smooth, and you can actually see the curb you’re near as well as the curb on the other side of the street.

Overall, I’m very very pleased with this mod. I was a little uncertain at first (which is why I took so long to cut up the bumper), but I also am of the mindset that when I get a rear bumper replacement (steel bumper) I will have already completed the hard work and will just have to position the pods accordingly.

Let me know if you have any questions! Thanks for reading!

Last edited by mbumpus11; 02-06-2021 at 01:22 PM.
mbumpus11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote