Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-06-2021, 04:43 PM

mbumpus11 has a spectacular aura about mbumpus11 has a spectacular aura about mbumpus11 has a spectacular aura about

mbumpus11 has a spectacular aura about mbumpus11 has a spectacular aura about mbumpus11 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroBoy View Post
Thank you for these instructions, good work.
The lights sure are bright.
A few of questions:

1. My biggest apprehension is bumper removal. Do you have instructions for how to do this?

2. You ran the wires externally. Did you consider a way to route wires through the cabin and out to the bumper?

3. Connecting the wires to the lights. Did you make the connections first then install the bumper, leaving some slack? Then tie wrap the excess wire?

4. Is there slack, or an inline connector, so you can remove the bumper in the future without breaking the wires to the lights?

Great follow up questions, thanks for reading through and thinking of these!

1. Bumper removal is likely the easiest part to be honest. I’ll send a picture with what you need to remove, and full instructions on that. Ultimately there are several bolts you unscrew, pop off the sides, and lift over the latch. I’ll explain with pictures soon in another reply.

2. I actually did consider running them internally, initially, but when I took off the door jamb plastics I found myself looking at a less-direct path than if I ran the wires externally. Additionally, given the lights go on opposing corners, it would’ve been a little extra length needed to go from the rubber bumper grommet on driver’s side (just below gas cap area) to loop across where the spare is located. I can explain my findings on this if you’d like more detail.

3. Baja Designs does a great job of the plug-and-play aspect of their lighting. The wires off the harness are a good length, and plug into the 10’ extension connectors very easily. Coming off of the actual pod lights themselves is a ~6” cord with a female plug connector which that 10’ extension connects to. The lengths/extensions I used allowed me have about 6” of overall extra length, which didn’t require any real additional cinching/folding of the wires. If I didn’t have the extensions, they’d just plug straight into that pod connecting wire. Before installing the bumper back completely, I kind of “rested” the bumper, connected the light pods to their wires, then secured the bumper to the vehicle.

4. If the bumper were to need to be removed in the future, you could just reach up into the “corner” of the bumper from underneath, and into the back of the pod to unplug prior to removal of the bumper. Or, you could unscrew/detach the bumper, lightly pull away from the body, ans reach from the top down to disconnect the light pod wires. Then it would just all come off together. There isn’t a “ton” of slack in the length of these wires/extensions, hence my reference to the reason for running the wiring externally. Extra length would have to be achieved either by linking more extensions to reach your desired length. In that event, you would certainly have excess length to tie up either underneath, or in another hidden location.

Below is a good pic of the pod where you can clearly see the referenced ~6” length coming out of the back of the pod light (which the extension cord plugs into) and hanging below my hand.