Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-11-2021, 08:53 PM

cl4Rk is a splendid one to behold cl4Rk is a splendid one to behold cl4Rk is a splendid one to behold cl4Rk is a splendid one to behold cl4Rk is a splendid one to behold cl4Rk is a splendid one to behold

cl4Rk is a splendid one to behold cl4Rk is a splendid one to behold cl4Rk is a splendid one to behold cl4Rk is a splendid one to behold cl4Rk is a splendid one to behold cl4Rk is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicknasty View Post
Dope! Looks so clean inside and out. Is the frame pretty bad?
Thanks!

The frame is actually not too bad, other than one area of penetrating rust. It's on the inboard side of the passenger rear lower trailing arm mount weld seam, which is a common problem area on these trucks.

EDIT: After starting the frame swap, it's clear there were other problem areas, including the rear shock upper mount goblets around the mounting bolt holes.

I read a lot of threads here, including @TheDurk 's Frame Rot!! Is this the end?, when deciding between repair vs swap. In the end, I decided to go with swap since there might be other problem spots that are hard to see, and it's also possible that the frame is rotting from the inside out, and I wouldn't know it until things started failing. I'd like to get out ahead of this rust rather than let it get worse.

I'll get more photos of the frame up soon when I start the frame swap thread. In the meantime, here's a photo of the problem spot, and of the donor frame that will get treated with POR-15 before the swap:
Attached Images
Ol' Ruby build thread-img_2938-jpg  Ol' Ruby build thread-img_3691-jpg 

Last edited by cl4Rk; 04-27-2021 at 02:14 PM.
cl4Rk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote