Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-12-2021, 05:01 PM

Toyo-duh is on a distinguished road

Toyo-duh is on a distinguished road
My spring experience

OME906: provided a good lift for what I wanted initially. However the rate was way to rough for my liking. I wanted something as soft or close to stock, But this was way to much. Tried revalving my shocks to try and work with these springs but I just could not get the ride how I wanted.

LC8 wraps: Now these felt AMAZING, since they are about the same rate as stock just significantly larger. I loved the ride and flex, My only issue was how high it was riding in the rear. So it was the opposite experience as with the OME906. I debating cutting a coil off to bring it down , but I figured someone else would like the springs. So I sought out to find something a little shorter.

“GX springs”: Now I used a prototype spring that I got from work that was supposed to be a close copy to the GX470. Free height of 16.570” and a rate of 196lbs/in. These brought my ride height a little lower and gave a rougher ride. I used these the longest as I revalved my shocks to make these bearable to me. It was good but I still was not fully satisfied so I went to find more springs to try.

Jeep JL front springs: I went to offer up to find a cheap set of 2020 JL front springs. I found some for $30 so I took the opportunity to try it. So these fit up nice except I could not use the coil bump cone. So that kinda sucked, As for a lift, it brought my ride height significantly lower. A bit too low for me. But I drove around and I must say the ride quality was VERY nice. They are a 115lb rate. So that’s why it was so soft. HOWEVER I was hitting my bumpstops non stop. I can stiffen up my shocks so it wont compress as easily but whats the point of that. It would be perfect if it was a bit heavier. And as I stand I just have a drawer system in the back with not much in it. I do not think these coils will do well with a rear bumper as I will be making at some point. SO now I think I am going to circle back to the LC80 springs and try a 7.5 wrap.

The spring hunt continues…

Check out my on going build
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ing-build.html
Toyo-duh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote