Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-15-2021, 12:30 AM

Direwolf82 will become famous soon enough

Direwolf82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by suuny View Post
Thanks for all the tips, I have some questions as well, I sifted thru lot of posts but decided to post here

Today, took my 5th Gen 4runner (2021 SR5 Premium) for off-roading this weekend, I am in northeast with lots of snow and ice in Connecticut. Not much great trails here, but I took a mediocre trail (According to my standards for those off-roading must have been probably easy ones). I got stuck in two places while I was trying to get out of slippery ice & snow in a sharp bend, along with a steep slope it struggled to climb I had to do a lot of maneuvers at that point tons of questions started to rush to my mind am I doing the right things sort questions

I was in 4L- D2, D3 and I could see my RPM meter hitting the red-zone as I was slowly inching up the slippery icy slope

a. By doing that am I going to damage anything at that high (8000) rpm during 4L what are the limits of engine rpm speeds to be aware of …?

b. I was constantly shifting between drive & reverse fast just to keep the momentum is there anything I should keep in mind or is it ok..?

c. Also I had to shift between 4L and 4H in order to keep the momentum I needed in some places to be in 4H and to 4L

d. Finally I notice when I come to main road and turn to H2 I hear some sort of very slight rubbing noise, Its probably I feel its coming from engaging and disengaging 4WD this is not the first time I am hearing, I heard this noise even early on now I have ~1600 miles I probably heard It earlier I don’t remember exactly around what miles, any thoughts here..?

e. When I park in the garage I smell some sort of heat smell, definitely not burnt smell, I can smell something is hot and I used to get the smell when I have normal drives, is that normal I did not encounter those when I had my 4thgen but its was a 2WD (when I was in houston area) Should I check that out or is it normal new engine and gears smell due to heat..?

f. any recommendation for those scratches from tree branches and bushes mine is getting bad I have a Black Rig.

Any feedback would be appreciated specially those questions are constantly lingering in my mind
I'll take a stab at a couple of those questions.
I grew up in southwest CT, beautiful state.
A. I wouldn't say your hurting anything short-term but your probably not helping the situation. When going uphill we would always try to go in with enough momentum to make it to the top and try not to spin tires, that's an easy way to lose control and go sideways. Even when your not moving forward spinning tires can just slide you downhill, whatever direction that is. Best recommendation would be a good set of tires and easy on the throttle. My dad could get the old suburban in 2WD up the driveway and around the ninety degree corner at the top of the hill when I was a kid, assume he still can but either way the right momentum was key and he always has some decent all terrains on it.
B. I assume you were rocking it back and forth? When you have to do it you have to do it, don't hit the gas until it's fully in gear to avoid beating up the trans. Or dig out around the tires a bit and try, again easy on the throttle at first. Give it a bit more if you have to. Try letting the traction control have a good go at it? I haven't driven mine enough in the snow but on one stream crossing with a 14 inch vertical drop in and out with 6 inches of fresh snow on top of compacted snow I just hit in 4L and the traction control crawled me right up, no bumping or momentum needed.
D. Not sure about the new models but I'm supposed to be in neutral to change high/low. I think it's easier on components anyways, not sure if that's the case with yours or not but your going to hear something when going into our or out of 4 wheel or high/low. Just make sure it's consistent sounding and doesn't change.
E. If you were bouncing off the rev limiter that will definitely heat everything up as much as possible as will banging the tranny forward to back repeatedly. That will create a lot of heat in the torque converter. Check your fluids, don't forget to smell them.
F. I'm going to raptor line mine, from what I've seen it's tough and can be sprayed fairly smoothly or rough, maybe not a full semi gloss but some sheen to flat depending on application techniques.
Or just buff and wax, you'd be surprised what a good guy with an orbital polisher can do to scratches plus it's way easier and cheaper than doing any kind of liner. My paint is so bad a good buff wouldn't touch it, plus I'm over having a white truck it's time to go green.
Enjoy the northeast, hard to find public wheeling but there are some good places around, some abandoned roads and stuff like that.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Direwolf82 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote