Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-17-2021, 01:48 PM

EdmundGTP will become famous soon enough

EdmundGTP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crikeymike View Post
That's a good idea. I think the riv-nuts are a better idea, but they don't supply them like that since the special tool is required for them, although so is a pop rivet gun. Haha

I like the trick in the instructions for using a block of wood on the drill so that you can't bottom out the drill into the a-pillar.
Where my pillar holes ended up, the lower 2 were right over what looked like an internal rib of some type, and it appeared that you'd need to drill through at least (2) layers of actual sheet metal to get in to where the airbag lives. The 5mm max depth seems VERY conservative, but understandably so.

A 10-24NC riv-nut requires a bigger hole (.28 dia approx.) than the plain pull rivet, and I had to drill away part of that 2nd internal metal rib to get enough depth to fully seat the riv-nuts for install. Went super slow/careful doing it, but encountered no sign of airbag material. If anyone is inclined to use riv-nuts like I did, all I'd say is exercise caution and patience so you don't accidentally go TOO deep/far with your drill. Paint your drilled hole edges, and cover the shank of the riv-nut in silicone sealant before squeezing it into place, then wipe away the excess.

Don't forget the anti-seize if you use stainless screws in stainless riv-nuts.

I liked the idea of using riv-nuts and it gave me an excuse to buy the tool. Now I can put a threaded hole anywhere on the truck.

Here's a snap of it installed. Good fit! Looks about as close to "factory" as you could hope for I think.
'06 V8 4R Sport, FOX 2.5 RR/DSC Coilovers, FOX 2.0 RR/CD shocks, Wheeler's & Timbren Bumps, ROKMEN lower links, LR UCA's, Warn VR8000, 7069's, Hanma LEDEEZ, DO Front Bumper, BAMF LCA Skidz, RCI Skidz, WMW Full Size 4x8 Roof Rack, WhiteKnuckle Sliders, etc. etc.

Last edited by EdmundGTP; 02-17-2021 at 07:50 PM.
EdmundGTP is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote