Site Navigation

Thread: 4WD issues..
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2021, 12:40 AM

giguchan will become famous soon enough

giguchan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by phattyduck View Post
Toyota normally calls them VSV = vacuum switching valve... but same thing.

On the '96-'00 non-Limited, the only actuator is the vacuum ADD actuator on the front diff. A switch on the transfer case activates the relay in the passenger footwell, which powers the VSV's to swap vacuum direction on the ADD actuator. When the ADD actuator moves, it hits a switch that turns on the dash light.

Since you hear the ADD relay working, the transfer case portion of the system is working. Check the ADD vacuum lines. Check the VSVs themselves. If 4WD *feels* engaged but the light is off, it could just be the indicator switch on the front diff.

Also, things could just be sticky due to non-use. The system should be actuated at least 1 a month. Toyota says 5-10 miles every month. Just pick a straight section of road and engage 4WD every so often. I just do a couple of side streets every month (put it in 4WD at a stop light/sign - then disengage next time I have to turn).

-Charlie
Thanks again Charlie
I am indeed guilty of not exercising the system as i should... However i have done it in the past but not nearly as what is recommended.I'll start tomorrow looking things over. Oh.. 4WD does not feel engaged due to fishtailing all over the place.. when it was working that day all i had to do was tap on the throttle and all 4 Duratracs pulled me where i wanted to go.. when it stopped- so did i!
Again thank you.
Magnaflow, Rigid D Series 4" 50231/Rigid E Series 20" 12231 LED Bar ,K&N FIPK,3"Toytec ultimate, OEM 231MM brake upgrade, LED Interior upgrade,Bushwackers,Savage Rock Rails,Shock works front bumper,PERKINS NON PERFORMANCE REAR BUMPER 33'Duratracs,Kenwood DNX891HD JL Audio C5's
Currently 194K

Cheers

Last edited by giguchan; 02-18-2021 at 12:45 AM.
giguchan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote