Site Navigation

Thread: LED High Beams
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2021, 12:01 PM

17KT4R will become famous soon enough

17KT4R will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
They are objectively worse when paired with projectors made for halogen bulbs.

There is TONS of hype on the internet because they may seem passable at first glance and they are sold at crazy markups. The light in foreground is typically much brighter, but the throw is significantly diminished. You are also blinding everyone on the road.

They real solution is projector retrofit, but that's a lot of work and money. People don't/can't do that, so they take the easy way out.

It is empirically proven that these kits are bad. There is a reason most of the somewhat decent resellers list these as 'off-road only'

You can find a mountain of data indicating that these are bad. Try to find actual reproducible data indicating otherwise. It's always someone's opinion or just straight vitriol.
I concur I was reading all of that science back in 2017 as well but I chose to purchase the 2 leading LED units at the time (DD & XD). I've been impressed with their manufacturing standard. For sure there would be a slight performance decrease in the way that you explain being that they are inside a projector designed for halogen but on the other facets I can say that they are not blinding and have no glare, perhaps it is their design too or the intensity that they emit being close to a halogen luminaire. I've seen cheap drop in Amazon LED's in many vehicles with similar projectors and yes they are way too bright, the light more like a flood as well.

I've been ahead of my truck many times in our other car and don't find annoying glare behind me, nor do I see it when the vehicle is coming toward me at night on wet roads etc. So I think there is something to be said for a higher quality choice in the LED market for sure, stay away from the cheap Amazon stuff.

On the issue of performance they are not going to outperform a halogen H11 or whatever totally agree, but I do have good night vision so this is not a problem for me (yet). But - when loaded down in the back however and the headlights face upward they are tougher to look at than halogen, probably because of color temp so I can see that pissing off some drivers on coming, the new OEM units must present the same issue.

Eventually I might change the assemblies out to the OEM's once my lens gets more wear and the pricing comes down... and there is a plug and play harness to convert or whatever the case may be but for now I think these have been a decent option for me looking to have the newer OEM look so to speak without any discernable performance decrease on the cottage roads.