View Single Post
Old 02-18-2021, 09:18 PM

EdmundGTP will become famous soon enough

EdmundGTP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheV6ThatCould View Post
This was going to be my approach as well but I chickened out. I felt fine about drilling the massive fender hole but between the air bag and virtually zero chance of reversing the A-pillar holes, I wanted to explore other options.

I read about several Tacoma guys using double sided 3M vehicle adhesive for the A pillar. I'm trialing this right now and so far after a few hundred miles it's working okay. I've been watching the snorkel frequently and haven't noticed any movement at freeway speeds.

I'm not sure I can personally recommend it (yet) but others have tried it and seems to be working just fine. With the number of fasteners holding the snorkel on, I don't think it'll fly off. Worst case I'm imagining is it'll loosen/rattle and I'll have to take the fender liner off again to tighten the hardware.
This method will likely hold up pretty well. The 3M mounting tape is pretty robust stuff if the surfaces are prepped right. The number of studs/nuts holding the snorkel to the fender alone is really more than enough to keep the entire thing in place. Even if your double sided tape fails, it shouldn't result in any catastrophic problem. And if it does fail, it's easy and cheap enough to replace. Even if you had to do it every few years, it wouldn't be a big deal.

One train of thought with the riv-nuts was that if the snorkel ever leaves the vehicle for some reason, the holes will just be filled by the stainless cap screws that are in them now, and if I wanted to, I could mount something else there. No idea what, but the option would exist.
'06 V8 4R Sport, FOX 2.5 RR/DSC Coilovers, FOX 2.0 RR/CD shocks, Wheeler's & Timbren Bumps, ROKMEN lower links, LR UCA's, Warn VR8000, 7069's, Hanma LEDEEZ, DO Front Bumper, BAMF LCA Skidz, RCI Skidz, WMW Full Size 4x8 Roof Rack, WhiteKnuckle Sliders, etc. etc.
EdmundGTP is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote