View Single Post
Old 02-21-2021, 10:32 PM

aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute

aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute
Air locker diff install day 2..

My brother dropped by to do some truss gusset welds on his '17 rubicon while I was finishing up my car. My initial thought was that I'll wrap mine up quick and help him out. Boy was I wrong..

I spent 3 hours fighting what I originally thought was a fitment issue with the RCV axles and my factory bearings, etc.. I was developing a gap on the back side of the axle to the bearing bushing that I just couldn't figure out. Long story short...the rcv axles did not come with the factory-style dust cover on the axle.. hence the "gap" that I was seeing. Anyhow. I spent quite a bit of wasted time on stupid stuff, but after a while the front end went together (and I hope like hell I got everything fastened properly and it stays together lol).

The rear was a really quick process.. I'm not sure why a lot of places I saw suggested undoing the brake lines from the caliper.. but I had plenty of room to slide the axles out to remove the 3rd member. It took me longer to fill up the damn things than it did to swap in the rear diff... the pump broke and I was too beat and dirty to source another one. After a 12 hour day on day two, I finally had everything done and the airlines connected.

The air lockers tested out good and hold air and engage, can't wait to test them. But... I am currently on the very slow 500 mile break-in process and am roughly 200 miles in.

Saw some different information regarding the break-in process but decided to follow the one by ECGS since they are they ones carrying the warranty on the assembled members. The nitro gear process stated 50mph max (thus suggesting no highway use) 500 mile break in, the ECGS procedure does not limit MPH and states that after the 2-3 initial heat/cool cycles highway miles are OK as long as kept to no more than 50 miles trips between cool down and varying the speed every 5-10 minutes. It did not mention limit of MPH, but I leaned towards the safer side on the highway speeds and kept it between 55-65 mph in 10 minute segments.

I believe everything is OK.. only thing that caught my attention a bit of a decel gear noise (a faint whine) that would appear when slowing down off gas around 32-28 mph. Does not do it under throttle and does not seem to come/go at any other mph/rpm. I'm going to try and get the rest of the miles in over the next 4 days so I can do the oil change friday and have it ready for full use this weekend.

Last edited by aemravan; 02-21-2021 at 10:46 PM.
aemravan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote