View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 01:39 PM

JMat will become famous soon enough

JMat will become famous soon enough
2007 4.7l V8 head Gasket Leaking? Thoughts...

We have two 3rd Gens and are currently in the market for a 4th Gen with the V8 to pull the horse trailer.

Drove over to the Sacramento Valley to test drive a 2007 Sport Edition(Auto trans & 170k miles), air temps in the mid 60's, and all seemed well on start up, no puff of smoke(steam) out the exhaust on start up and car seemed to drive okay. There was a little hesitation in the final shift of the transmission at about 50mph and around 2k on the tach but I digress. After driving the car for about 10 miles with about 5 of those on the freeway we pulled over and I started checking things out. First thing I noticed is there was no coolant in the over flow tank and was able to open the radiator cap because there wasn't any pressure in the radiator hoses. I did a little more checking and there was the telltale water/oil white slurry under the oil fill cap. Didn't have time to to dig in any further and told the owner we couldn't buy it. Owner said he knew nothing about any issues but he doesn't work on cars at all and would take the car to a mechanic this week to have it checked out.

I know the 4.7l V8 is a solid motor and you don't see many head gasket issues at all but what are your thoughts? Anything else you can think of?

Thanks!!!

1997 Toyota 4Runner 3.4 4x4 with 247k miles-Project car

Last edited by JMat; 02-22-2021 at 01:41 PM.
JMat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote