Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 10:50 AM

solsnowbarger is on a distinguished road

solsnowbarger is on a distinguished road
02/01 - Having bought my rtt literally months ago, you’d think I’d have tried it out. You’d think wrong. It’s been crappy and raining and freezing literally every weekend since I bought the thing.

I did, however, install my defender mounts. I love the quality, but I’m not a huge fan of how they look on their own.

I don’t intend to have my tent up there full time, and I regret the lose of my factory look. I’m almost considering getting some thin metal stock, powder coating it, and using it as almost bars across the defender mounts. TBD.

02/13 - Its been miserably cold and snowy here, as it has in most places these last few weeks, but there were a few breaks. I took the time to finally install my new amber fog lights. One of the housings had been destroyed since I bought the vehicle, and I replaced it with a depo one from Amazon. I was impressed by the quality, and we’ll see how time treats it. Unfortunately, I found that the wiring from the vehicle to the old fog had been damaged, so I had to cut it before the connection to the fog light. I went back to my parts car, which was an SR5 without fogs. However, the SR5 still had the appropriate wires, and I stole both of those, and connected it to my wiring harness on Sly using these little guys.

I know soldering is still the best option, but given the space, and the fact that I was lying in snow to do this, these did the job perfectly. I went out and got a horrible freight heat gun, and these went on easy. For those unfamiliar, these butt joints are pretty much heat shrink with water proof bits on the far sides, the colored parts, and a small of amount of low temp solder in the middle. You simply twist your two wires together, slide this over, and slowly heat the hole thing until the solder has melted and the heat shrink is secure.

Afterwards, I took a celebratory romp in the snow and tried my best to get stuck in the back country roads.

*Side note: I sure am glad I changed out my battery before all this crap. Hope you all weathered your storms as well as we did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk