Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-24-2021, 11:13 AM

phatcheeks is a jewel in the rough phatcheeks is a jewel in the rough phatcheeks is a jewel in the rough

phatcheeks is a jewel in the rough phatcheeks is a jewel in the rough phatcheeks is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob3dsf View Post
I bought re-manufactured CV axles from toyota several years ago, and I kept my originals (rather than returning them for a core refund) so I could re-boot them. They came with the dust shields. Maybe look up the parts diagram and see if the shields are available. I've never returned anything to LKQ, but I've also never bought from them online. I usually go to a nearby salvage lot and pull my own parts. I have an LKQ yard near by. Matter of fact I never thought of pulling a CV axle before (but then the last time I pulled a part I knew a lot less about by rig than I do now). As for the gasket, that part might be replaceable as well. If it's meant to be temporary while you reboot your OEM, it might not really matter.

FYI on the reboot kit. Look into getting a set of "snap on" crimp style clamps. They are open on one side and have locking holes and tab. Basically it's open so you can slip it on, close it up with the locking tab, then crimp it tight.

Like these:
Amazon.com: Nicecnc Stainless Steel Universal Adjustable AXLE CV Joint Boot Crimp Clamp Kit,20PCS(10pcs Small+ 10pcs Large): Automotive

I would get some, or go to your auto parts store and order some of the twisty, spin style. Whichever, just have some extras. In my kit these was 3 crimp style and one kind then you fold it over to clamp and close, then secure it with little locking tabs. That one broke on me and I had to order some replacements. Some store stock some Dorman brand clamps but they were too small. So, know what diameter you need. Its, like, just over 4" for the larger size on our boots.

Re-booting is easy, just messy. A parts washer is something I wish I had, but I managed without it.
I dont have any 4th/5th gens near me. Most yards only have up to the 3rd gens.

When I said temporary, I meant as long as they last until I have time to reboot my old axle lol.

For the cv clamps, I have a bunch of the McMasterCarr clamps with smooth edges.