Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-25-2021, 03:56 AM

HiluxSurf SSR-G will become famous soon enough HiluxSurf SSR-G will become famous soon enough

HiluxSurf SSR-G will become famous soon enough HiluxSurf SSR-G will become famous soon enough
the gear-type center diff is found inside the transfer case. But not all transfer cases have a center diff. The ones without a center diff are the ones used in TRADITIONAL part-time 4WD systems either via the ADD or the manual/electric locking hub.

IIRC, the first LC that had Full-Time 4WD (center diff inside the HF2AV TC) was the LC80 but there were also LC80s in other countries that had a part-time 4WD system using manual locking hubs. I've seen LC70s that have the switch to engage the front locking hubs.

about H4:
I was referring to the ones with Multi-Mode 4WD (1999-2002) transfer case. for this case, H4 is AWD and H2 is 2WD. when the center diff is locked, it is H4L/L4L. On the transfer lever diagram (1999-2000), it is: H2-H4 / H4L / N / L4L.

I understand that in those transfer cases without the center diff, H4 is known as High-range 4WD and is equivalent to the Multi-Mode's H4L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaspeed90 View Post
You may want to.define better what you mean by #1.... the terms transfercase and center differential are pretty squishy when it comes to land cruisers.

All Fj60 and prior had a true 4wd transfercase and manual locking hubs in the front, even if they were vacuum chamber controlled for "front drive" (4wd). My 1971 FJ40 originally had a vacuum controlled FD transfercase but it was exactly the same as a stick shift - with the transfercase easily changeable.

The FJ80 and later all had full time 4wd transfercase, but had center locking differentials - which pretty much makes them a center differential.

These transfercases acted the same, essentially, as my 1988 Corolla Alltrac- it is 4wd full time with a center differential (only different in that the center diff is incorporated into the transmission) with a CDL... except it didn't have a high/low range.

I would not agree that an AWD (or full time 4wd, however you want to phrase it) is the same as a traditional transfercase that is in 4 wheel drive high.

The Landcruisers and 2000+ T4Rs get away with a "full time 4wd" because they have some form of traction control and/or VSC. As a wheel starts to slip the traction control can take over to ensure power is delivered to wheels with less traction.

Last edited by HiluxSurf SSR-G; 02-25-2021 at 10:19 PM.
HiluxSurf SSR-G is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote