Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-26-2021, 01:04 PM

baldrik78 is a glorious beacon of light baldrik78 is a glorious beacon of light baldrik78 is a glorious beacon of light baldrik78 is a glorious beacon of light baldrik78 is a glorious beacon of light baldrik78 is a glorious beacon of light

baldrik78 is a glorious beacon of light baldrik78 is a glorious beacon of light baldrik78 is a glorious beacon of light baldrik78 is a glorious beacon of light baldrik78 is a glorious beacon of light baldrik78 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by 702_SR5 View Post
At one point, I took the vehicle to my local dealer, explained what was going on, and asked them to fix it. What they did was rebalance and road force the wheels. Then (without telling me), moved them to the positions on the vehicle where the problems would be least noticeable. I realized this because I had numbered the rims and I saw they had been shifted around.

When the wheels were moved back to the spots they were in, there was practically no improvement in the ride quality.

I've stood next to the technician in different Discount Tire shops and watched them do the road forcing and force matching when needed. To me, the wheel appeared to be on the machine solidly. I'm not sure exactly what this adapter is that I've heard about, but I would expect them to have whatever was needed.
So when you get your tires balanced, the machine will give the tech a Road-Force number. This is basically a simplified number telling you how egg-shaped the tire is. The higher the number, the more out of round. Most tires seem to average around 10-20; anything over 25 is basically impossible to balance. For my Coopers, I have 2 tires that are right around 10 and 2 tires that are right around 20. I put the low number tires on the front and the high number tires on the back and like magic, my steering shimmy is gone.
SSO Roof Rack - SSO Sliders - SSO Slimline - Smittybilt X20 10k - RCI Skids
TRD Pro Wheels - Spidertrax Spacers - Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T 255/85 R17
baldrik78 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote