View Single Post
Old 03-01-2021, 10:14 AM

aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute

aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute aemravan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilliams563 View Post
Great work so far, can’t wait for the final product on that front end! Hope the new front end body lines up with that bumper, or at least close enough since you knocked it out first lol.

Wish I had 1/10th of those skills, the equipment, tools, and knowledge to do myself. As of now a big job for me was installing my lift and minor electrical stuff. My soon to be installed Victory Blitz front steel bumper (preassembled and powder coated of course) and Victory roof rack bolted on and all of this has been new territory for me.
Thanks!

with regards to the new front end lining up, my plan was to get the bumper in place around the factory front end it was meant to be around so that I wasn't working with an entire floating assembly to set in place. If the fenders hurry up and get here I'll find out quick what sort of fitment I'm working with. From what I could tell, more than likely the fenders will need to be trimmed near the bottom where they mate to the bumper, which would be ideal so that I could get that gap perfect.

As the bumper sits now, the wings come out about 1 1/4" past the factory fender. Not sure what the tacoma fenders will sit like, but if it does not look right I'll take an angle grinder to the wings and cut out the extra inch in width and weld the caps back on (a lot more work than it sounds but very doable). Hopefully this plan works out, but I wont know until Greyhound makes its way across the US with my fenders.. lol .

With regards to the ability and tools.. tools are obviously a biggie. In particular the welder. Other tools are literally nothing special.. As a matter of fact, I have seen guys knock out bumpers using $400 welders from harbor freight with great results so all in all, just about anyone can get into it. I have been wrenching on cars since I was 16 and was fortunate enough to have my dad who is really handy with tools to learn from. Other than that it is just practice and time lol. I have 0 official training of any sort on anything that I do. Welding being one of them. I haven't welded a day in my life until just recently and there is definitely a learning curve to it, but it is very doable. I wish I started sooner. If you look at the way some of my welds came out they are hideous at best lol. But since I have to grind down all the exterior welds anyway it doesn't matter much.

Below are 2 examples of my welds. One I consider pretty good for me, the other...well you can tell for yourself lol. No shame here for me though, not afraid to share my learning experience

Last edited by aemravan; 03-04-2021 at 12:17 PM.
aemravan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote