View Single Post
Old 03-01-2021, 02:30 PM

Location: north east of Fairbank out there in the frontiers Alaska
3bears is a splendid one to behold 3bears is a splendid one to behold 3bears is a splendid one to behold 3bears is a splendid one to behold 3bears is a splendid one to behold 3bears is a splendid one to behold 3bears is a splendid one to behold

Location: north east of Fairbank out there in the frontiers Alaska
3bears is a splendid one to behold 3bears is a splendid one to behold 3bears is a splendid one to behold 3bears is a splendid one to behold 3bears is a splendid one to behold 3bears is a splendid one to behold 3bears is a splendid one to behold
2001 a good build platform ?

So might get some haters, who knows ?
Might lead to strange debate or opinions, but opinions needed.
not trying to offend those that own a 2001 or 2002

As my sig reads, I had a 2000 that was great. Was almost at the modded level I wanted. I liked that it had less electrics and not the funky $2ooo master cylinder. Or maybe I have been psyched into beleiving those fears. I have put near 5k on it now, and no problems . With my 2000 transfer case I liked the j shift and the elocker I swaped in was great in the back roads.

So totaled the 2000, and up here 3rd gens are few and far between, so ended up with the 2001. Cant afford to go get one out of the lower 48. We have 2 wrecking yards within 250+ miles so picking up used parts is hard. I was not able to buy back my totaled one at the time, sure wish I could have, other life shit was in the way, so just accepted offer. The wrecking yard that got it, I called on and the good mods had been sold on it within 2 days...they said. All the new susension, the TBU, the elocker and the leather interior...gone

Im not gonna go crazy with this one, just a 2 inch lift, bumpers, winch, exhaust, intake ( bumpers and winch were going to go on the 2000, sitting in storage waiting for install when.....bang...totaled the 2000)

but Ive read that the 2001,2002 trannys and transfer case dont hold up. Ive heard others talk about electrical gremlins are more common in these years.

Im not gonna be rock crawling anymore, but lots of back roads in the middle of no place where cell phones and even cb radios can be not effective.

I dont want to get much more of my love and money tied up into this one, only to start having major money issues with regular stuff ( electrics, trannys, master cylinders, trac systems) But I did buy it as a fixer upper and made the needed repairs to get it running right.

I might just be worring over nothing, just loved the simplicity of the 2000 and early 4runners and taco's.

So should I try to hold out and see if a 2000 or ealier shows up on the market.....or just stick with this one ( 2001) and go for it and do a small build thread ?

thanks guys
2000 SR-5 Highlander version 4:30's, factory locker , green, bought 6/21
2001 SR-5... bought 11/20..sold 6/21....
2000 SR-5 moded, lifted, e locker, other cool stuff, totaled 10/20
3bears is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote