Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 01:37 AM

jmike is on a distinguished road

jmike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothereric View Post
I've also been wondering if this $2k USD upgrade is worth it or should I just mix n match my own components for half the price. The main selling feature I gather from buying the full OEM+ kit is that everything is literally plug n play so you're basically just tearing apart interior panels.
Yah that is the biggest selling point. When I finally reach audio upgrade on my mod checklist, I'll be going for the OEMA+ with dual subs, though I will be adding sound deadening to the budget. In my youth(20 years ago) I probably did around 10 full complete installed along with fitted sub box construction, half of those being my own so I feel the roughly ~$3k will be worth it. I've priced out both purchasing individual components myself as well as getting quotes from multiple shops and while I definitely could save a buck or two doing it myself, a shop is almost double for a mid tier system.

What people over look as one of the largest cost for a self install is the custom sub box, especially the one on the passenger side with the power outlet panel relocation. Now if a square/rectangular box wouldn't bother you then it would save a ton but I just can't go that route. The cheapest I found to do a quality box was $400 each and that was with no outlet relocation, meaning I'd lose that access. However I saw a few examples of their work and I'm not sure I'd be satisfied with the quality. So realistically I'd budget in $500 per side just for that. Again I'm sure I could do a good enough job for myself but I also know as a novice how much time, effort, wasted material from do overs it would be so no thank you.

Honestly I wish they sold a speaker free version where you just look at the spec sheet for the required resistance for each speaker and then add your own. I'd much rather go this route since there's really no info other than their own marketing on the quality of their speakers. However again, the T4R has some wonky speaker mounting so I'm not sure if the OEM+ speakers have the mounts already built in as part of the speaker's frame or is it a separate piece.