Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 02:06 AM
Elite Member

BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold
Elite Member

BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp.vegas View Post
It's way more than 10 years. This powertrain dates back to the 4th gen 4Runner rolled out in 2003. There are minimal differences with the VVT as compared to the 4th gen motor but the transmission is the same (as is most of the chassis and drivetrain). Clearly not a bad thing from a reliability standpoint but my point is Toyota has been milking this combo for a lot longer than the 5th gen has been rolling.
The basic structure of the 1GR-FE and A750E/A750F transmissions is the same as the 4th gen, but they're very much updated over the course of a decade. This is something Toyota is notorious for, incremential updates and improvements without any fanfare. For example the '03~'05-ish 1GR-FEs are relatively similar, but also incompatible with the newer '06~'09 units because things like cam sensors were changed from 2 wire to three wire, small components were changed/improved, etc.

The '10+ 1GR-FE is similar in block design, but the timing cover and heads are very different due to going for a dual VVTi system and a thinner viscosity oil; there's very little that is compatible with prior 1GR-FEs and a lot that was re-designed (hell if I recall correctly I thing a T4R or T120 forum member actually got the engineers to redesign the 5th gen heads to drain oil better at steep angles because their new 5t gen stalled at MOAB or something like that IIRC). Same thing with the A750 transmission, a '10+ isn't the same as a prior model internally. Of course none of these changes are really charted anywhere specifically, you'll find some information dotted here and there, but there's no real chart of every little change made to the 1GR-FE, hell they don't even bother to differentiate the 1GR-FE from the pre-Dual VVTi years with the current 1GR-FE (which was mildly confusing for some people when we still sold the Tacoma with the non-Dual VVTi 1GR-FE.)

In any case, I whole-heartedly agree with the OP here; I really hate whoever programs the logic for the ECM & ECT in Toyota's modern trucks and SUVs. They seem to prioritize EPA/MPG numbers so that there's only one "right" way to drive these vehicles, like a Prius. The programming seems centered around this ideology starting with the numb 5th gen accelerator pedal toe-in that makes it slower off the line compared to a "lesser" 4th gen V6, all the way up to some of the odd coasting/cruising behaviour in it's shift choices. If you really want to see the pinnacle of these drivetrain programmer's "skill" look no further than the 3rd Gen Tacoma's neutered drivetrain. That thing has had more updates for it's shift logic than I can recall for any Toyota made in the last decade or two.

This is basically them focusing on turning everything into a Prius and chasing the MPG numbers at the cost of everything else, Toyota's new "design goal" I suppose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Bronson View Post
Wow, I had no idea. I knew the 5AT had to be old because it behaves EXACTLY like my 5AT from my 2003 Infiniti G35. The "sequential" mode between the G35 and 4runner are the same including the upshift/downshift directions and the fact that they are essentially top gear limiters, and when in sequential mode, there is more of delay to get the transmission to downshift with the throttle. It's all very familiar to me, but quite old school.

Funny how Toyota has changed over the years. Back in the 1980s and 1990s, they were often class-leading with powertrain technology. Now they're largely the brand of old folks who value reliability and simplicity over everything else. Toyota played it so safe with the new Supra that it's entirely a BMW under a Toyota skin. Even the steering wheel, minus the airbag cover, is made by BMW LOL
Toyota hasn't made a Supra since the 2000's, they do sell a BMW Z3 with cute Toyota Badges on it. They aren't interested in producing performance vehicles for the public anymore, even Lexus is still conflicted in it's desire to provide a luxury performance vehicle if you look at their models. The internal communication of Toyota or lack there of is just astounding, it's such a different company than it was 20, even 10 years ago.

Last edited by BlackWorksInc; 03-03-2021 at 02:09 AM.
BlackWorksInc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote