Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 03-07-2021, 01:13 AM

Thepedigree13 is on a distinguished road

Thepedigree13 is on a distinguished road
I previously posted in this thread about my experience with FJ coils on my 3rd gen.

They worked great, and I still believe they are a good option for people wanting a mild lift and better weight carrying capabilities.

I just replaced the rear coils with the Dobinsons c59-137v. Still using the 3rd gen specific bilstein 5100 shock.

Only driven around town once so far, but the ride feels softer and more flexy. The FJ coils felt stiffer. The rear is now 22 5/8" drivers side, and 22 7/8 passenger side center of hub to fender. So about 1.5 inches higher than the FJ coils had me.

I still have FJ coils in the front on the second perch from the bottom. And now I have the rake I desired. About an inch higher in the rear.

For those considering the FJ coils for their ride, I would suggest using bottom clip if running 5100 or similar adjustable struts. That should put you level and give you about a 1" lift over stock.

I was about level with the FJ coils on second perch, and FJ coils in the rear with a 10mm trim packer in each side. I wanted more rake though.

I will say if the Dobinsons don't settle too far, they are perfect for what I wanted. I was skeptical about any of the 3" offerings paired with the 5100 due to them being listed as a 0-2" capable shock. So Dobinsons with the 2" lift and progressive coils made perfect sense.

I use my truck as a daily, but also hit trails, take it hunting, take it fishing, etc. So these coils meet all my needs especially with the higher rate coils when I'm weighed down with hunting gear and an ice chest full of venison.

If you have any questions hit me up, and I'll answer them the best I can.
Thepedigree13 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote