Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 03-07-2021, 12:38 PM

jonnybravo9 is on a distinguished road

jonnybravo9 is on a distinguished road
3.4L won't start after HG replacement, troubleshooting help!

Howdy all,

I need some outside advice for troubleshooting before I rush into anything stupid. 3.4L 5vzfe motor swapped into a 92 4runner using ORS harness. Ran great strong two weeks ago but busted HG, so I tore down and replaced HG, timing belt, water pump, tensioner and pulleys. Followed WorseThanChiggers video series.

Much to my wife's chagrin I finally finished buttoning everything back up after a HG replacement at 1am last night, and the truck wouldn't fire up.

It is cranking strong, and I did squirt some starter fluid into the intake, after which it caught briefly but didn't start.

No OBDII codes anymore (I did find I hadn't connected TPS, but once I did the code went away).

I cranked it for a solid couple minutes. Stopped because it was late and I didn't have anyone to feed starter fluid while I cranked. Battery still had 12.5v when I quite (charged last night so it will be fresh today). Thinking the fuel rail ran dry while I had it disconnected for a week. My research shows that the fuel pump doesn't prime unless you are cranking, right?

My question is, what are the first steps I should take in troubleshooting? I'm thinking if I can get the wife to help I can have her crank while spraying starter fluid, but if that doesn't work then what do I start checking?

Obviously the assembly is suspect, and I plan to review visually what I can, and mentally everything else now that I am fresh, I know I set the timing correctly I am looking for advice on things like how to check fuel presence, check for spark, etc. Anything obvious I may not know about. Many thanks for your input!
jonnybravo9 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote