Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 03-16-2021, 07:02 PM

potatofries is on a distinguished road

potatofries is on a distinguished road
Best way to blow $2500 building a '99 Limited?

Recently purchased a white '99 Limited with 200k from an acquaintance. Seems it has been relatively well maintained. Just had timing belt and water pump done.

But it needs new tires all around. I'd also like a low-pro cargo rack and snowboard rack and possibly a lift.

I'm willing to put up to $2500 into it and looking for some ideas from this awesome forum. So how would you put $2500 into this rig?

Few requirements:
1) Would like to avoid taking it to a shop. I'm relatively handy, but not a mechanic and don't weld. I do some of my own fluid changes and brake pads, but definitely don't do engine work or anything like that.

2) I have a daughter. Can't do anything that compromises safety.

3) Daily driver plus 5-6 trips a year to snow (Lake Tahoe) and some light off road for camping etc. Not a rock crawler.

4) Used is ok for racks and accessorries, but prefer new or like new for safety stuff like tires and suspension parts.

TIRES:
Thinking just a solid pair of All-Seasons. Though I'm also open to a pair of studless snow tires mounted on an inexpensive set of wheels (ideas?) to compliment all seasons on the stock rims. Currently has stock 16" rims in good condition. Maybe just go a little bigger on the tires if I do a lift?

LIFT
I've been through the great 3rd gen lift thread, and am considering the OME 2"/2.5" lift kit with shocks and coils assembled. This seems like a pretty doable DIY project. At about $1000, this leaves $1500 for tires and racks. Got a little overwhelmed trying to figure out the Tundra/LC options, plus I don't have a spring compressor. Open to other lift ideas though as well.

RACK
Need a ski/snowboard rack for trips to the mountains. Also would like a low profile cargo rack for camping gear or occasional plywood runs etc. I've found a few Yakima/Thule racks for $50 or so, but not sure if they'd be compatible with a baja-type rack or would have to switch them.

ACCESSORIES
Open to lights, anything useful for camping , inverters, air compressors etc. But the lift, racks, and tires are priority. Already has upgraded stereo (pioneer head unit, amp, 10" sub etc.)

I know there are great threads about all of these things. But honestly I could spend $2500 on just the lift or just tires/rims or just racks. But how best to spend $2500 between them is an open question that I'm sure a lot of folks on here have some ideas about. I want to hear them! So how would you spend $2500 on this '99 Limited? Thanks!
potatofries is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote