Home Menu

Site Navigation

Thread: LED bulbs
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2021, 09:01 AM
Elite Member

19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold
Elite Member

19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Stroked View Post
Anybody even thinking of installing "drop in" LED bulbs in housings designed for halogen bulbs should take a look at this:

Why Most LED Headlight Upgrades Don't Really Work: An Expert Explains

If that doesn't convince you, here's something a little closer to the (Toyota) home:

Why LEDs should not be run in Halogen reflectors | Tacoma World

I've been experimenting with improved lighting on vehicles since I bought my very first new car - a 1976 Toyota Corolla SR5 Liftback. I can't tell you how many different lights, bulbs, harnesses and other stuff I've tried over the years. LED bulbs are just the latest fad and although some of them are barely passable, most of them are just junk. (BeamTech and Auxbeam are just a few of the poorest.)

The excessive glare issue has been somewhat solved by a few of the better manufacturers as of late. The cheap stuff still has this problem. Funny thing though. People who bought these cheap bulbs used to stand in front of their vehicle and take pictures to show "how bright" their new bulbs were. What they were actually showing was how much more glare they had installed.

The new problem that has been created is excessive foreground light. The better manufacturers have dramatically reduced glare by directing light downward. Most users don't see this as a problem though because they say "Look at how much light is in front of my vehicle and nobody flashes me." What they don't realize is that they have lost almost all distance projection. Is that bad? Not if you don't mind cruising straight into the deer standing in the road just out of your new headlight bulb's range.

If you want my 2 cents, although the better drop in LED bulbs are better than the cheap junk, they're not actually better than a good halogen bulb. Oh, and they're still illegal. No reputable manufacturer will sell you a set.

I wish PA State Troopers still had a hardon for aftermarket lights like they did in the 80’s and 90’s. The worse for me are the blazers and cherokees with the led headlight replacements, or people running their led light bar. I see it all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
19963.4lsr5 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote