Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-01-2021, 01:23 PM

NathanOfSeattle is an unknown quantity at this point

NathanOfSeattle is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian. View Post
Yup, BUT....

There are some conditions. The 2 biggest are that you need to have a better quality "smart" charger. The old "Battery Tender" branded (and cheap knock-offs) are anything but smart. Noco and Ctek are 2 brands to watch for as being "better".

2nd big one is to NOT leave it connected full time. Generally speaking, you only need 24 hours straight for every 30 disconnected/unused. If you're driving your 4r every weekend (and going more than 30 miles), the charger isn't going to do a whole lot of good. The "smart" aspects (de-sulphuring as one) *will* help though.

And yes, they absolutely will keep the battery going for longer. I've personally gotten 10 years of use from 1 battery, though the last year it was very iffy/not the most reliable.

For your personal situation, if you plugged in the night before you planned to go somewhere, you'll be 100% covered and getting the absolute most from the battery.

At least that just my personal opinion (pro motorcycle wrench for a few decades, I'm well versed in "winterizing" and maintaining toys)
Thank you! Could you recommend a good battery maintainer? I picked this one up at my local NAPA for $50 as it was recommended by the guy working there. But I can return it if you have a better one?
Attached Images
Battery maintainer extending battery life?-battery_maintainer-jpg