Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-04-2021, 09:49 PM

rjtakesphotos will become famous soon enough rjtakesphotos will become famous soon enough

rjtakesphotos will become famous soon enough rjtakesphotos will become famous soon enough
Ended up stumbling across THIS write up the other day about mouting a smittybilt 2781 inside the engine bay. Well I just happen to have the 2781 and was looking for ways to minimize the amount of stuff inside the rig.

Ordered it a week or so ago and it just got here today! Had some time so I knocked it out.

First, I followed the C4 Fab guide for installing the battery tray and prepping the area for the install. Once it was test fitted in the engine bay, I dropped the compressor down and marked the holes on the base.

I removed the Smittybilt base, and kept all the hardware.

Once the holes were drilled, it was time to paint it. Hit it with some primer and a metallic silver paint.

Bolted down the compressor to the base, keeping the rubber spacers to minimize vibration. If you do not rivnut the battery tray then you will have to pre-assemble before dropping it in. This next part is optional but why not have some more insurance! Once it was bolted down to the base, I attached the top battery tie down, and the bolts are much longer than you need for this, so I measured them, took them off and cut them. Then flipped the bolts so the cut is at the bottom under the tray and the top of the bolt is nice and clean. Leave this loose for now if you are pre-assemblin as it helps to take it off to tighten the bottom of the tray to the vehicle.

Drop it in and follow the C4 guide to finish the install. Pretty straight forward, just got to wiggle it and angle it in to fit. Wiring wise I ran it towards the firewall and across the hood over to the driver side. From there I had wired up a fuse+relay and connected it to my Trigger Controller, so I can turn it on when I am at the back of the car. I haven't decided what to do with the air line yet, I already have a MorrFlate system so I do not need to run it to all 4 corners. I am thinking of extending the line and running it out to the wheel well or out towards the front bumper so I don't have to open my hood at all, simply connect the morrflate to the fitting.

For the time being it will sit here, I most likely will figure out a permanent solution before I even use it like this.
rjtakesphotos is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote