Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-05-2021, 12:48 AM

jsindorf is on a distinguished road

jsindorf is on a distinguished road
New Shocks and Ride is Horrible

I have a 99 T4R Limited, 4wd, 260,000 miles...

The suspension is basically original, with the exception of new sway bar links at 129,000 and new rear shocks at 167,000.

Last week, I noticed some clanking from the rear suspension when going over a bump. I found the right rear shock was broken (top mount stud was snapped off). I was swamped and a mechanic friend helped me out by replacing the rear shocks for me with new OEM shocks from Toyota.

I'm surprised that the ride is much worse than before the new shocks were installed, and there is much more clanking.

I asked my friend what he thinks it might be -- he said the shocks went in with no problem, but that he had to reuse the bottom bushings since Toyota didn't supply new bushings with the new shocks.

I have ordered new bushings for the bottom mount of the shocks. Is there anything else I should check or replace? This has the original "tall" coil springs. Should those get changed? Should I go OEM or OME?

I really want to fix this... it is really horrible.
Thanks!
260k mi, Auto Trans, 4wd, Locking Rear Diff, v6
jsindorf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote