Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-06-2021, 11:18 AM

Nonfactor1 is on a distinguished road

Nonfactor1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumHam26 View Post
I have a had my 2001 4runner for the past 10 years. It had 70k when I bought it - now it has 241k. I absolutely love the thing - I use it as a daily driver and for camping and fishing trips all over the country.

It is time for a new steering rack, p/s lines, (way overdue) suspension, and a new muffler. In the past 5 years I have done a lot of my own maintenance thanks to this forum. New denso radiator, tundra brake upgrade, new cats, timing belt/water pump (at 231k), new brake lines to the rear (RUST), new fuel pump and overfill check valve, lots of attempted rust removal and prevention with POR15 (I live near Chicago), patched and painted holes in rocker panels from rust, LBJs, outer tie rod ends, trans dain and fills with new trans filter. changes diff fluids.

I am looking for advice about what issues I may expect coming up, and if you all think it is wise to keep putting money into it, or if it would be better spent toward a newer or lower mileage 4runner (I would try to find something under $15,000). I think the new muffler, tail pipe, steering rack and suspension with all related accessories will cost me around $1,400 if I do the work myself, which isn't terrible, but I worry about what's next. I worry particularly about wheel bearings and axel seals - they're original, and I'm not confident I can do those myself. Are they likely to go soon? Can I consider my car reliable on long trips anymore? I still have faith in the engine and trans for a while yet. Anything else I should look out for?

And as a side note - does anyone have a mechanic they trust in the Chicagoland area? If I pay someone to do wheel bearings, I want someone who really knows these trucks and will replace what they need to (such as LBJ bolts) and torque everything correctly, and I know many mechanics are likely to reuse parts and use an airgun to tighten things down.

I would really appreciate any advice.

It is kind of funny seeing this thread pop up, as my wife and I have had this discussion a couple of times.

The way I look at it is, in order to get a vehicle that is just as capable or more then capable then the 3rd gen, you would need to spend a decent amount of money in order to make it happen. If you end up getting a new 4R or Tacoma, you are looking at what $350-500 a month or more in payments for 3-5 years.

I recently had to get my transfer case replaced, and I let a shop do it just because of time and no space (I normally work on everything myself and I am replacing my 3rd member here very soon). It cost $1000 out the door, but it was a certified replacement and should last at least another 100k miles or more. But it sucks because it is a huge lump payment, unless you want to throw it on a CC. I justify it based on if it costs me $2000 in a year for major parts to keep it running and on the road, with no payments and cheaper insurance, that is cheaper then the $4,200 (assuming $350/month payment) in a year that it would cost to have a new vehicle.

It definitely sucks when looking at it as a lump sum huge payment, but at the end of the day you are still spending less then half (in my example) in a year then you would just to have the chance to own something new. Not worth it to get something new in my opinion. Besides wrenching on your own vehicle can be beneficial since you don't need to take it to a mechanic (saving money) and you can do work for other people and make money on the skills that you learned. I did a timing belt job for a guy, he bought everything, and I made $350 on it. Not bad for spending a Saturday doing something I like, helping out another 3rd gen owner, and making cash also.
Nonfactor1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote