Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-06-2021, 06:59 PM

aaronRR is on a distinguished road

aaronRR is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Roof top tent problems... (FSR)

Just wanted to get this out here incase anyone is interested in their Hard shell tent.

I purchased this tent late February and got it mounted in the Bend Oregon location, Nice guys ultimately. Went and took it camping on a coast trip ~400 miles away. On the way back I noticed that the black powdercoating was coming off, the hinge that pushes the frame down was digging into the steel, and that the liner had rolled onto the steel in the wind and torn holes into the bottom of the liner.

I took it back to the Bend office and asked what could be done, he took the RTT off and told me he needed a week to get it repaired, Two weeks went by and no response. I pinged him and he set me up with a completely new RTT. I took this RTT out that weekend to a local campground. I start to unpack it and then I close the front door to the tent, and the zipper comes off, find whatever I'll just use the other side. So then I drive home and the roof rack falls off because it wasn't screwed all the way in when they installed it. I tell the manager at the Bend office about this and that I'm highly disappointed and wanted to return the tent since I've have 5 different problems now on each of my first trips, I'm basically told to deal with it and that they don't do refunds.

So in total here are the things to look for in this tent:
  • Metal hinge grinding into the frame because the frame doesn't sit flush, ruining powdercoat and metal.
  • Bottom liner catching the wind when driving and creating holes in the liner, since the bottom of this tent does not have a floor and it's wide open, this will mean you effectively have holes in your tent.
  • Powdercoat on the entire frame coming off in a short timespan, causing raw metal to show.
  • Shoddy zipper quality causing them to break off

Do you guys expect these things when you pay over $3k for a RTT?
@offRoadxp | 2019 4Runner TRDO ⁌ RSG Rock Sliders ⁌ RCI Skid Plates ⁌ ICON Stage 2 Extended Travel w/ SPC UCAs ⁌ ICON Rebound Wheels ⁌ 285/75/17 Yokohama Geolandar G003s ⁌ Prinsu Full Roof Rack ⁌ FSR Evolution RTT ⁌ SSO Offroad Bumper w/ Smittybilt 12k Winch
aaronRR is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote