Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-09-2021, 04:47 PM

riverwolf is on a distinguished road

riverwolf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindpunkjames View Post
Hey all. This is my first post on these boards as I'm a first time owner of a 4Runner as of yesterday.

Was hoping I could get some basic info related to upgrading my head unit as I don't know much about it (I installed an aftermarket head unit in an '05 Grand Prix like 10 years ago but that's my entirety of experience, no bluetooth/gps/cameras/etc.)

I have a 2005 4Runner Limited with JBL and the non-nav (I'm assuming default stock?) radio.

I was looking to either get the Atoto S8 or the Dasaita

S8: Amazon.com: [10in Floating Display] ATOTO S8 Ultra S8G2108U (Gen1), in-Dash Android Car Navigation, Dual Bluetooth w/aptX HD,Wireless Phone Link, Gesture Operation,Built-in 4G Cellular Modem, Support 512GB SD: Car Electronics
Dasaita: Amazon.com: Dasaita 10 inch Rotatable Screen 2din Android 10.0 Car Stereo for Universal Radio Carplay Android Auto GPS DSP System 4G Ram 64G Rom 15Band EQ Navigation Multimedia: GPS & Navigation

Was wondering if anyone had any experience with either? I've heard the customer service with Atoto is really good, but I like the aesthetic of the Dasaita unit more. I'm also looking to get a backup cam and dashcam, which I know Atoto makes.

My other questions are: 1. Is the default factory stereo double din or single behind the faceplate? 2. What pieces will I need besides just buying the head unit and cameras? 3. This is a really stupid question and I apologize but when it comes to wifi/data/GPS on the head unit, do I need to add it to my phone plan to give it service or something? 4. Any recommendations on other accessories would be very welcome as well. My main goals as of now are to be able to wirelessly play music/do navigation from my phone (I've never used CarPlay or anything but I'm assuming it's not too difficult), and also to be able to charge my phone.
Go to Crutchfield, do the "what fits my car" thing and pick a double DIN radio (AA/CP compatible recommended for most accuracy). C'field is nice enough to show you what other pieces you'll need for isntall. In short, you'll need a double-DIN kit appropriate to your 4Runner's trim level, an interface to allow an aftermarket unit to work with the JBL system, and possibly a second interface to retain steering wheel controls...which may not be an option with the Android units.

My quick and dirty take on the two units:

The ATOTO will take a SIM card so you could add it as a device to your wireless service plan just like a tablet. Or, you can enable your phone as a hot spot (if allowed by your carrier) and let the ATOTO connect through it. The Dasaita only offers the option of using a hot spot...no SIM card that I can see.

The ATOTO says it's running Android Oreo...that's version 8.0. Current is version 11 with 12 out in preview. As such, I might question whether the ATOTO really can run AA/CP, especially wireless since AA wireless requires the phone to be at v11 (some phone models, like Pixel, could do wireless with v10), IIRC.

Honestly, given both units are $500ish, I'd seriously consider sticking to the traditional brands like Sony/Alphine/Pioneer/Kenwood/etc. Then add standalone dash cams. I've followed these generic Android units off-and-on for a number of years and the quality is seriously hit-or-miss...even when 2 people buy the exact same unit, they've been known to report quite different experiences...and support is virtually non-existent.

Good luck.