Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-10-2021, 07:17 PM

jeffreykb is on a distinguished road

jeffreykb is on a distinguished road
Thanks for this thread!

The SRS light illuminated on my 2007 4Runner, and I was able to troubleshoot and fix myself after reading this thread. An additional contribution to this thread...the Android OBD Fusion app (with 2007 4Runner adder) and a elm327 OBD2 scanner was able to communicate with the SRS computer to get the trouble code. This app saved me the cost (and trip) of the dealership reading the trouble code. I called O'Reilly, Auto Zone, and Advance Auto, but the rep that answered at each store stated that their free ODB2 reader could not read SRS trouble codes.

The trouble code was "B1181 Open in D Squib (2nd Step) Circuit" which indicates an open circuit for one of the circuits to the steering wheel airbag.

I ordered a new spiral cable (clock spring) from the online store of a Toyota dealership which is about 30 miles one way from my house; so I had it shipped. I saved about $100 compared to the price of 3 closer Toyota dealerships. Since the spiral cable is part of the airbag circuit, an eBay spiral cable did not seem like a good idea. But who knows...maybe the quality is the same...and the "stealership" has a huge markup.

The new spiral cable is installed, and the SRS light did not return after a 30 minute test drive.
Attached Images
UPDATE FIXED* Clock spring replaced problem solved! - Airbag light stuck on-b1181-png 

Last edited by jeffreykb; 04-11-2021 at 09:27 AM.
jeffreykb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote