Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-14-2021, 06:40 PM

bsab5 is on a distinguished road

bsab5 is on a distinguished road
Finished my chop and also worked on de-chroming over the weekend.

For the chop I chose a line that was not too aggressive. Starting from the fender I drew a line ~1/2 inch below the 2nd lowest fender bolt. I came down at a slight angle to completely remove the lower chrome on the bottom side of the bumper then had to come down at a little sharper angle to not expose too much of the crash bar. Then came straight across the lowest ridge that is also just below the bottom of the crash bar. I think it turned out really well. I used a small rotary tool with a metal cutting disc and although it created more heat the greater control was better than using my angle grinder. I was able to clean up the cut using various rotary tools - sanders, flapper wheel and polishers. The edge is really clean from straight on and even looking underneath it's really clean - no door trim required in my opinion. You can see the crash bar slightly on both sides but only if you are way back or squat down. If it bugs me too much I'll paint black later. You can barely see the washer reservoir from the side so I'll probably leave as is as well. For the fender liners I trimmed straight across and secured with 1 zip tie (1 per each fender liner) closest to the engine since on the outside I retained the 2nd lowest fender bolt and clip. For the lower portion of the front bumper I used 3 corner braces and very large zip ties that go around the crash bar. I spray painted the corner braces black and secured to the bumper using JB Weld. It likely didn't need it but I was worried about the styrofoam coming out in between the front bumper and the crash bar. The look is much more aggressive and really exposes the skid plate, front tow clips and front tires. No flapping or rubbing when driving at high speeds.

For the dechrome I kept everything in place and masked everything off. My last can of plasti-dip was defective (spewing drops out the base of the nozzle) so I ended up having to stop before I was fully complete. The result is some splotchiness in the look. Not sure if the splotchiness is because of lack of coats or maybe I didn't apply correctly or maybe it was too humid outside (I live in Georgia, humid almost all the time). Even with splotchiness I think it looks better! I ordered some more plasti-dip (I used Plasti-dip black glossy and can't find at any local stores) and will fix next time I have a free afternoon and good weather. I also dechromed the chrome piece that stretches across the entire rear bumper. Splotchiness there too but not as evident as the front pieces. Oddly the fog lights aren't splotchy at all.

1. Front Before
2. Front After
3. Driver Size Fender Zip Tie
4. Driver Side Fender
5. Front Bumper to Crash Bar Corner Braces and Zip Ties
6. Passenger Side Fender Zip Tie
7. Passenger Side Fender
8. Passenger Side Washer Fluid Reservoir
Attached Images
Modifying the Limited Bumper-1-before-jpg  Modifying the Limited Bumper-2-front-jpg  Modifying the Limited Bumper-3-driver-side-fender-zip-tie-jpg  Modifying the Limited Bumper-4-driver-side-fender-jpg  Modifying the Limited Bumper-5-front-bumper-crash-bar-corner-braces-zip-ties-jpg  Modifying the Limited Bumper-6-passenger-side-fender-zip-tie-jpg  Modifying the Limited Bumper-7-passenger-side-fender-jpg  Modifying the Limited Bumper-8-passenger-side-washer-fluid-resevoir-jpg 
bsab5 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote