View Single Post
Old 04-15-2021, 08:36 AM

Brian. is a name known to all Brian. is a name known to all Brian. is a name known to all Brian. is a name known to all Brian. is a name known to all Brian. is a name known to all

Brian. is a name known to all Brian. is a name known to all Brian. is a name known to all Brian. is a name known to all Brian. is a name known to all Brian. is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnstylz View Post
Is the lower LBJ failure related to lifts or stock suspension as well?
It's a design issue, so it impacts 100% of 3rd gen 4runners and 1st (only?) gen Tacomas. But, it is exacerbated by lifts, bigger wheels, wheeling, etc... Look back through threads like this from before and Most people seemed to land on the "change them every 100k miles" with a fairly large group allowing for 200k and only the hardcore wheelers being in the 30~50k range. 300k street miles seems to be about where people post they had failures (from the few threads I've personally seen happen in real time).

Mine were 100% trash at 190k miles, boots torn, rusting, but not much "slop" when testing on the bench. Of course that was 20 years of use too, and age has every bit as much to do with failure as miles. I plan to just do a 10 year replacement cycle for as long as possible... not going to horde them because of that age deterioration thing (though I imagine kept in a dark box will help a good bit, vacuum pack them would help even more, and mild temps would be the trifecta).

Failures also tend to be during Sharp steering inputs, so low speed.