View Single Post
Old 04-17-2021, 10:03 PM

Lazywildcat01 is on a distinguished road

Lazywildcat01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanSchnobrich View Post
I'm in a 3rd gen, but would like to put in my two cents. I had all four of my OME shocks blown ridiculously quickly. After a short year of moderate fire roads, my front nitrochargers were absolute shit and my front end would bounce for a solid 5-10 seconds on its own in park. A half year later, my rear nitrochargers were blown. So I swapped with 5100s in the front and 5160s in the rear. Two years later, after the same kind of "wheeling", my 5100s are seeping and squeaky constantly. My 5160s seemed fine for awhile but I do believe they're blown-- though I'll take partial blame for these since I think I have overextended them several times. Anyway, I have been very unimpressed by both Old Man Emu and Bilstein shocks. Yes, I'm familiar with Bilstein's reputation and yes I know they claim to offer a warranty. I'm in college and my 4Runner is my only car, I'm not willing to ship shocks around waiting on warranty parts for weeks on end. My rig has never been to any real Moab trails, and I've been in some rocky sections a handful of times here in Montana. I've been waiting for my 2.5" ADS coilovers for about three months now. At least if those blow I can rebuild them. Not sure what to do about rear shocks, I'll probably just bite the bullet on some quality rebuildable ones once I can afford it.

That sucks to hear that. More I dive into the bilstein warranty process and reading on all these failures, the more unimpressed I am. I could afford the $190 replacement 5160, but it sucks just waiting to hear back. Its been 32 days since I've shipped them out. ADS are nice but they are pricey for sure, located in my home state too!
Lazywildcat01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote