Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-20-2021, 07:31 PM

rjtakesphotos will become famous soon enough rjtakesphotos will become famous soon enough

rjtakesphotos will become famous soon enough rjtakesphotos will become famous soon enough
Was tagged in a post about one of these and after watching one video on it I was sold. Ordered it that night and just got in yesterday, just threw it in earlier this afternoon! I was in the market for a new dash cam after my last one failed me in an accident in my old car.

For those not familiar with them, they are the rear view mirrors that are a camera monitor/screen. On top of that, this is a front and rear facing dash camera. Why might you want one? If you are like me and load up the cargo area often, you lose all your visibility with the mirror. Also having a swing out/ladder I get an obstructed view with an empty cargo area. This gives me a wider point of view, and an unobstructed view out the back. It is also a larger mirror giving a wider view when its off.

It simply straps to your oem mirror, and the left side has an adjustable camera. It has your standard dash cam features: voice activated, photo mode, gps/speed, etc. When you don't want to run the monitor you can turn it off and use it as a normal mirror. It is slightly darker looking as it is not a normal mirror, but it still functions good enough.

Disregard the wiring hanging down, this was during install. Rear camera is small and easy to attach to the center of the rear headliner. I tried connecting it to my rear camera relocation as it was the same plug, but it wouldn't recognize it. I am actually glad I didn't go that route as I prefer this position and now have my rear view camera + this better camera when I go into reverse rather than just one. It has a wide field of view and you can scroll with your finger on the video up or down to adjust the framing.

Hard to capture on my phone, but here is the display! 4K front camera + 1080P rear. You can swipe the mirror to switch between displaying the front camera, rear camera, and then a side by side split screen with both of them. I only run the rear camera display, but just thinking of how the front camera may be useful is maybe on a trail on a steep approach you cant see what is over the ridge, being up a little higher you can sort of see something before you would from the drivers seat? Would have to actually try it, but just an idea.

One of the features that sold me on it was the rear camera at night. The video I watched turned everything behind the car into daytime, and gives so much more visibility. Being able to see someone driving without their headlights, a pedestrian walking behind you in dark clothes, etc. I am a truck driver and spend all hours on the road. I have seen so many distracted drivers, and have learned to be a super defensive driver on the road so it is in my nature to always be looking out. Anything that I can use to prevent an accident, or defend myself in an accident claim is well worth it to me. Going to go outside when the sun goes down and check it out!

So far the only cons I have noticed are that it is a video feed, and therefore suffers from some frame lag. It is not too much of an issue as you can still see way more information and see it earlier than a mirror I feel like. Another issue is some glare during harsh light, I only took a quick drive around the block so I will update when I spend some more time behind the wheel. The nice thing is that you can easily turn it off and use it like a normal mirror if you prefer.

While I was working on that today, FedEx dropped off my new front brakes! Eventually will find the time to get these on. Need to do a maintenance weekend and take care of some routine stuff one of these days.
rjtakesphotos is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote