View Single Post
Old 04-21-2021, 10:48 AM

G_Raw has a spectacular aura about G_Raw has a spectacular aura about

G_Raw has a spectacular aura about G_Raw has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydad View Post
exactly what I was going to do. first position turns compressor on and rear lock, then next position turns front lock on.

The existing ARB setup lets you run the front without the rear. I have a hard time understanding why running the front without the rear would cause any damage outright? When your using your lockers, things are about to get real and it tends to be a hold my beer situation... and breakage is more likely?

I have read forums where 80's owners have re-wired their lockers so they can get the front only setup. so I just mention it but it's not going to stop me.
Running front only on a solid axle rig is more acceptable as the axles are stronger. Our front diff can handle the torque put out by the locker. It's our CVs that are the weak link. You ever see a front locked IFS try to maneuver? It's painful. In a straight line an IFS setup is fine. But we don't need lockers in a straight line situation. We are going over obstacles and turning the wheel back and forth to get traction. That torque from gears and now locker with increased CV angles from flex and droop leave you wide open to breakage. This will likely result in damaged CVs but can result in damage gears in the diff itself.

This is why we approach with our rear locked and flip the front on and off as needed. I keep mine off any time I'm steering side to side on mud or slick rock. It is only a last ditch effort. Not to mention when you use the front and rear you have a controlled crawl effect which will minimize chances of damage to your CVs. With a front only lock you don't get that same control. In fact this is why you see a lot of IFS rigs run a locked rear and a LSD upfront. An LSD minimizes constant torque on the CV. It essentially is locking and unlocking the front for you at the right time.

The downside to a LSD is it's never "off" meaning it'll still resist steering on normal trail where you don't need it which can again damage CVs. This is where a selectable like ARB comes in.

You keep it off till you absolutely need it. And know to turn it on and off when in use depending on your scenario.

Again I'd rather get through and obstacle with my rear only. I only turn the front on if my front needs added traction. Once I've gained said traction the front is off again.

I also always carry a trail spare CV.

And I do like the look of the OEM switch you folks are usi n

Again this is just my 2 cents.

Last edited by G_Raw; 04-21-2021 at 10:58 AM.
G_Raw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote