Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-21-2021, 01:50 PM

CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold

CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold CutthroatSlam is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by thennen View Post
I live in Ohio, and we get pretty much the same amount of road salt as you do up there - and the severe rust that comes with it. I've seen calipers flaking and chunking apart due to rust, had trouble with rusted bolts and all, but I've never had brake pads so rusted that they caused problems or were difficult to remove. And I never, ever, in 45 years and 1.5 million miles of driving, ever saw a brake pad separate from a backing plate. I imagine it can happen, but I've never seen it. I can't imagine that it happens often.

Considering that they're twice as expensive as OEM pads, and you say you expect them to last as long as OEM pads, it's difficult to see the price justification. If the main benefit is that they're galvanized and therefore resist rust, it's likely that they'll only snag those buyers who have had a terrible time with rusted brake pads.

Not trying to be a wet blanket, this is just my assessment based on my experiences.
I've had break pads separate from backing plate, but that was on a boat trailer used in saltwater. The saltwater had nothing to do with it. It was a brand new set of brakes and rotors. Rotors were painted and the pads stuck hard to the paint on the first stop and broke a pad free.
CutthroatSlam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote