Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-22-2021, 01:01 AM

ats90mph is on a distinguished road

ats90mph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoleif View Post
my $0.02, if one of your LBJs was messed-up, replace both. one simply can't know without careful examination. as you correctly state, an LBJ failure can result in catastrophe. i like to replace all paired components in pairs. i realize that's more expense than everyone can manage all the time, but generally it produces more predictable behavior, not only with alignments, for instance, but also the wear tends to progress evenly and thus in a few years (?) when it's time to replace again, you don't have to remember which one is the most recent or whatever.
Normally I would 100% agree with you, however at 13,000 miles the joints should be at only 13% worn (assuming a 100k expected life). Already my suspension guy thinks I’m insane for replacing the left one after adding grease. Another reason I’m replacing the left one I’d the possibility of contamination. Since this started after I went mudding, part of me thinks something got in that particular joint. Also, if the joint was dry enough to squeak, perhaps there was some abrasion from lack of lube. I won’t know until I get it off, and take the boot off. At that point I might as well put a new one on...

With no symptoms on the right, and only 13k on it, I feel as that would be a waste. I don’t feel it’s had enough mileage on it to replace it solely for “even wear”...

(Edit: sorry to sound like a jerk, since I know I asked the question. Ironically defending the suggestion of replacement helped me come up with an answer that I’m comfortable which, so thanks ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devbot View Post
However you might be interested in these which will be available for preorder soon. They utilize the same uni-ball Total Chaos puts in their UCAs, and will make an LBJ change a $75-100 expense instead of $200+. Expected to cost around $600
Thanks for the link, the guy that fabricates those is relatively local to me, and I might donate my old LBJ’s to him if he wants them...

But uniballs for my situation are a bit overkil. Since my rig is a daily driver first, and an off road rig second, although I’d like it to do both relatively well. If I trailered it, and it was only for off road, this is definitely something I’d think about...

Last edited by ats90mph; 04-22-2021 at 04:31 AM.
ats90mph is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote