Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-22-2021, 08:31 AM

photoleif will become famous soon enough

photoleif will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ats90mph View Post
Normally I would 100% agree with you, however at 13,000 miles the joints should be at only 13% worn (assuming a 100k expected life). Already my suspension guy thinks I’m insane for replacing the left one after adding grease. Another reason I’m replacing the left one I’d the possibility of contamination. Since this started after I went mudding, part of me thinks something got in that particular joint. Also, if the joint was dry enough to squeak, perhaps there was some abrasion from lack of lube. I won’t know until I get it off, and take the boot off. At that point I might as well put a new one on...

With no symptoms on the right, and only 13k on it, I feel as that would be a waste. I don’t feel it’s had enough mileage on it to replace it solely for “even wear”...

Thanks for the link, the guy that fabricates those is relatively local to me, and I might donate my old LBJ’s to him if he wants them...

But uniballs for my situation are a bit overkil. Since my rig is a daily driver first, and an off road rig second, although I’d like it to do both relatively well. If I trailered it, and it was only for off road, this is definitely something I’d think about...
broadly speaking, i feel your logic with calculating the wear is a good place to start in the absence of disassembly and some arcane metric none of us could agree on. i concur about the potential contamination, and don't think you're being over-cautious; i like your odds of a safer vehicle having replaced that one. i don't think your response was at all jerky. if an opinion requires yelling to impress or dominate, that's jerk material. you formulated a reasonable math-based approach that helped you reach a stable conclusion. no harm there at all.

i contacted total chaos last year, or maybe it was 2019, and asked if they have uniballs for my '99, and at that time they didn't. since then, i have learned through disassembly and testing that their uniballs i've had on my '95 pickup for many years are the source of the truck's irritating squeaking. at this point i don't really think i'd go for them in my 4R. i do need to order more for the truck, since putting them in entails boring out the holes larger, so once i've done that, the knuckle is altered and i'm forever a total chaos customer :-)

'95 Xtra cab 5VZ-FE swap 5-spd | 33x10.50-15 BFG AT/KOs | 4" Superlift | ARB rear locker | OME torsion bars | Total Chaos idler arm & uniball | Smittybilt bumpers | Sportsman topper | Aisin manual hubs | K&N | Dual Optimas | Extended diff breathers | Bilstein 5100s | De-striped | Hella pencil-beams

Last edited by photoleif; 04-22-2021 at 09:02 AM.
photoleif is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote