View Single Post
Old 04-23-2021, 04:59 AM

thennen is a splendid one to behold thennen is a splendid one to behold thennen is a splendid one to behold thennen is a splendid one to behold thennen is a splendid one to behold thennen is a splendid one to behold thennen is a splendid one to behold thennen is a splendid one to behold

thennen is a splendid one to behold thennen is a splendid one to behold thennen is a splendid one to behold thennen is a splendid one to behold thennen is a splendid one to behold thennen is a splendid one to behold thennen is a splendid one to behold thennen is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snypr18 View Post
Hi everyone, adopted this old guy on Tuesday, 1990 V6 Manual @ 230,000:

The seller only had it for about 4 months, and unfortunately he didnt have much in the way of maintenance records from prior owners. I am in the process of "going through it" and have noticed a few things, looking for some input.

First off, it is due for an oil change. Supposedly it is running synthetic oil, seller did not know what viscosity it currently has. Am I likely to run into any issues if I swap to conventional oil, or would it just be best practice to stick with synthetic now that it has been running it? I am in the Phoenix area so I am leaning toward 10w40.

The steering also wobbles a bit at about 60mph. It doesnt pull while driving or braking, and the tires seem ok. Wobble seems to be a bit worse on curves vs straightaways. Front shocks, especially the front passenger, seem pretty worn. Ball joints? Shocks? Both?

Timing belt was last done at 134,xxx, so that project is also in my near future.

There are some other odds and ends that eventually need addressing, such as the e-brake light being stuck on and likely a coolant flush soon. I will keep posting here as time goes on. I have another thread similar to this one up on yotatech as well, trying to cast a wide net in my ongoing search for T4R wisdom. Excited to be here, looking forward to years ahead.
Nice find - congratulations! You could try rotating the wheels to see if the problem changes. As for oil, if there are no leaks, I'd stick with whatever is in it for now. No sense introducing a new problem this early. In my experience, changing from conventional to synthetic never resulted in a problem, so I wouldn't think going the other direction would, either. But again, I'd save that experiment for later, after you've dealt with the known problems.

Last edited by thennen; 04-23-2021 at 05:03 AM.
thennen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote