Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-28-2021, 11:31 AM

mr_skittle is on a distinguished road

mr_skittle is on a distinguished road
Most of the rest of this job was dealing with the removal of the old, welded nuts inside the frame, and the ingenuity it took to get the new nuts and bolts installed. If the threads are in decent shape you can just screw in a bolt and pound on it till the nut breaks free. A bit of heat before pounding always makes it a little easier. If the threads are trashed, as they were on the rear bolts, I used lots of heat and a chisel. If you need to replace the nuts and bolts, get creative on how to get a nut and washer the 2ft into the frame for the front bolts. I taped a wrench to a stick, the nut to the wrench, and superglued the washer to the nut. I also threw a couple of glowsticks into the frame to see what I was doing. The small holes I cut in the end weren't big enough to shine a lite in and see at the same time. God willing your's will be in better shape and you can just use the original hardwear.

The saving grace for me was having the rig backed up on ramps. Once you remove the spare tire, there is actually quite a bit of room to work on the hitch. Throw down some cardboard or an old yoga mat and roling around on the ground is a little more bearable.
mr_skittle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote