View Single Post
Old 04-28-2021, 03:25 PM

repo is a glorious beacon of light repo is a glorious beacon of light repo is a glorious beacon of light repo is a glorious beacon of light repo is a glorious beacon of light

repo is a glorious beacon of light repo is a glorious beacon of light repo is a glorious beacon of light repo is a glorious beacon of light repo is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE969 View Post
So what if most people don’t use the 4r to its full potential? Most people who drive pickup trucks or sports cars don’t use or actually require their capabilities either.

Would the world be a better place if everyone drove a 2008 Ford Focus station wagon because they “need” nothing more? Do you get to decide what car is “better” for others?

Before you ask if the hat fits me, I don’t require the 4runner’s off road capability often, but I do go places where a standard crossover won’t fare well from time to time.

And my friends who tried (Tiguan, Escape etc) proved that to me on several occasions when we had to get out and push...and they then had to fix trail damage under the car!
The video was more a review of 4runner buyers than the car itself. He actual says the car is awesome, offroad. But complete overkill for most people and he reflects on why people really buy them. There used to be a funny blog years and years ago called SWPL and if you remember it you'll know Toyota corp, sort of reluctantly perhaps, tried to check every box on the list with the 5G. "Corporate" is the word he used, I'd say soulless. It has the personality of a refridgerator compared to 3G and even 4G (the v8 at least).

Other than MPG, 4runners are a great do all vehicle. You can tow, it has legit 4x4 and decent clearance, it will take abuse, you can stick stuff out the back window or on the roof kinda like a truck, but you can fit 5 people, fit it in your garage, cargo is covered/secure. Most of all it's RELIABLE. The "down sides" like lack of electronic babysitters and ride quality I absolutely dont care about. Literally the only reason not to own one would be MPG, or having an actual need for a truck bed.

Ultimately it's a glorified station wagon, dressed up like some kind of tacticool gear q***r or REI yuppie "adventure" (i.e. driving a min maint. road) vehicle.

Last edited by repo; 04-28-2021 at 03:45 PM.
repo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote