Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 05-07-2021, 07:33 PM

EJosephs is on a distinguished road

EJosephs is on a distinguished road
Rear Parking Brake Return Springs and Bell Cranks - OEM or Dorman?

I need to get a new return spring for the parking brake bell crank on my rear right drum brake.

I can either try this and hope it works, from Toyota (OEM) but not listed for a 1998 4Runner for $9: Toyota 4Runner Spring, tension(for parking brake bell crank return) - 9050620019 | Desert Toyota, Tucson AZ

Or buy a full set from Dorman for $33: Amazon.com: Dorman 924-753 Parking Brake Bell Crank for Select Toyota Models: Automotive

I really only need the springs, but what are your opinions on the safety and interchangeability of the other parts? Do you think the springs are trash anyways? I've never bought Dorman parts.

Some backstory for those interested. TL;DR: I was missing one of the return springs on the parking brake bell crank. The long version:

I just finished cleaning and adjusting my rear drum brakes. The LR brake adjusted very easily, and by cranking the parking brake handle I was easily able to get it to position. The RR, that was a different story...

I manually adjusted it with a screwdriver ALL the way from loose, because the parking brake bell crank wasn't fully resetting. Upon releasing the brake handle, it would stop shy of touching the back plate about a quarter inch. After the brakes were properly adjusted, this meant that if you set the parking brake, it would NOT disengage. The first reason is that there is some corrosion (rust) on the parts. That will clean up easily enough. The second, is that I'm missing one of the two return springs!
EJosephs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote