Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 05-12-2021, 06:44 PM

Unner is just really nice Unner is just really nice Unner is just really nice Unner is just really nice

Unner is just really nice Unner is just really nice Unner is just really nice Unner is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by venomj View Post
Welcome, the 4th gen looks super clean.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg514 View Post
wow...that photo of the frame tho...it looks brand new! very nice find!
Thanks! Yeah, when I saw the frame I almost couldn't say no. It's nice having a clean vehicle to work on. I couldn't imagine working on some of those rusty ones up north.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Runner4Runner4 View Post
Huge congratulations. Great find. My 4.0 V6/1GR just hit 250k, and no signs of stopping.

Seeing as you already have an off-road rig, why not keep highway tires on the 4th Gen? They are so much quieter, smoother, better fuel economy, longer tread life...
Thanks! Considering Toyota has ran this engine for nearly 20 years in the 4Runner it's gotta be good.

You make several fair points about tires. I'll do more thinking and looking on it. I like the looks of a more aggressive tire, and I like being able to do a little off roading without worrying about getting stuck in mud or so. I will almost definitely go with a P rated tire though. I won't be playing in the rocks with this one so I don't need crazy sidewall strength, or all the weight that comes with an LT tire. I think my 255/80/17 ST Maxx on the 3rd gen weigh like 60 lbs. Rotating tires, especially the bumper mounted spare is a bit of a workout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldub View Post
Does 4WD work? I bought a lower mileage '08 last summer to replace my '00 and the 4WD actuator was stuck and 4 Lo wouldn't engage.
Yep, I tried it out before buying since I knew it was a common problem on these. Put it into 4wd Hi a few times, took it up to 60 mph to make sure there were no vibes. It went into Lo and locked the center diff just fine too. I actually thought it would take longer to engage than it did since those systems can get a little "sticky" if they aren't used often.
Unner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote