View Single Post
Old 06-01-2021, 07:55 PM

AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future

AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bears View Post
ok .....here is a new one.....so im trying to get a local cost on replacing headgaskets...just for an idea for future.and a bargaining chip.......so for fun I called the dealer...figured high price would be good.but prob would not use them...so I asked for price for headgaskets, timing chain and waterpump.
I was then asked/told whatever......that the timing chain and waterpump are good for the life of car and if at the time I do head gaskets the chain and waterpump are an additional 1200 in labor...PLUS parts.....what really ????.

I only have one dealer within 400 miles....so interesting
The general consensus on the forum is the timing chain on the V6 is good for at least 300,000 miles, there have been a couple who have replaced their chain with less than 300,000 miles but in most of those instances the previous owners didn't change the oil regularly and inside the engines/valve covers, etc. they had black sludge because of the neglect , there are also many V6s reportedly have way more than 300,000 miles without ever changing the chain, the best way to tell if the chain is stretched is to remove the inspection plate and see how much the timing chain tensioner is extended, if the chain is stretched the over extended tensioner will most always be obvious by the difference in discoloration on it.

The water pump is rather easy to replace on the V6 without touching the timing chain so I would worry too much about it, on the V8 it is highly recommended to change the water pump when replacing the timing belt because the timing belt has to removed to replace it and also if the water pump starts leaking after installing a new timing belt the coolant can cause the belt to deteriorate and break, none of that is an issue with the V6 and a chain.

Concerning the cost of replacing the timing chain that's about the average cost at a dealership for replacing the chain and water pump....but they have to remove and reinstall the chain to do the head gaskets, but that a dealership for you they charge the going book rate for each procedure even though they're have to do the timing chain steps to do the head gasket, that another reason they're called "stealership". LOL

Last edited by AuSeeker; 06-01-2021 at 07:57 PM.
AuSeeker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote