Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 06-01-2021, 08:24 PM

importman is a jewel in the rough importman is a jewel in the rough importman is a jewel in the rough importman is a jewel in the rough

importman is a jewel in the rough importman is a jewel in the rough importman is a jewel in the rough importman is a jewel in the rough
I don't know how much I can add to what's already been said but.. I'm in the midst of doing head gaskets on my 05. Thankfully I can do it myself. But, in fairness to my runner, it's got 303K on it. And when I tore it down I realized it does need the timing chain as well. If not for the fact that I'll be in the mountains for the whole summer I would've waited on this. It literally had almost no symptom. I knew about the 03-05 issues so I've been paranoid about it since I got it. And I smelled coolant a couple of times upon startup. But it took three separate, different tests to confirm it. It passed a pressure test, a combustion gas test and the only way I actually figured it out was this: I ran a borescope down in the #6 cylinder and pressurized the cooling system to 25 PSI. Then, I was able to see a drop run down from between the head and the block and down the cylinder wall. I guess my point here is, there's always a possibility of head gasket failure on one of these but it took mine 303K miles and honestly I believe I could've driven another 20K or more without fixing it. But, since I was gonna be out of town all summer and not able to work on it, I went ahead with the repairs. The one you're looking at has 170K on it. It very well could go another 100-150K miles without this problem or it could never happen. And if it did happen, I'd certainly go somewhere besides the dealer that was gonna charge you full labor on the chain which they had to remove anyway. One last thing. Even with this known flaw it will still be more reliable than just about any other vehicle you could buy. Good luck whatever you decide.
Ironman 3/2 lift kit, JBA high caster upper control arms, Upgraded to Sport Front Cardone Calipers with Brembo Rotors and Akebono Pads, Added Spoiler, Sony XAV-AX1000 with Apple Carplay, USB Jack, Backup Camera, General Grabber ATX / 275/70/17, Auto Dimming Mirror with Compass and Homelink, Map Light Mod, Tekonsha 90160 Trailer Brake Controller, Recoil SL1708 Sub, Sealight LED Headlamps, K&N drop in air filter, Smittybilt XRC 9500 Winch, Weathertech floor mats.
importman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote